Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I enter the caverns?  (Read 559 times)

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I enter the caverns?
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:40 pm »

I just decided to take on the caverns since it's the only feasible way for me to get grazing space for all my animals. Yet, no dwarf seems to ever go there, and when I ordered my armed-to-the-teeth melee squad down there, they just wouldn't go, it just said "location inaccessible" or something like that. I designated lots of squares for mining in the caverns, but no miner goes there either.

Is there some default standing order to stfo of the caverns, and how do I turn it off?

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
Re: How do I enter the caverns?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »

Did you reach the ground in there?
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:07 pm »

Did you dug to the ground level, or built stairs down to the ground of cavern? If dwarves can't go there, they literally can't ( either due to burrow, being boxed in, etc), and since you tried both military and civilians, burrow conflict's unlikely.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:05:55 pm »

Caverns cover multiple Z levels - if you use (k) to look at the space in the cavern, it probably says "Open Space".  Use (>) to go down a few levels until you see normal ground.  Enter down at one of the levels the cavern has ground.

Be aware that it's another entrance into your fortress ...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:44:53 pm »

Pop open the third cavern first.  Its has the most useful trees, nether-caps.  And grazing space, and farming areas.  I like to open up the cavern right next to where the danger room is, so the militia can quickly address anything trying to sneak in via the cavern entrance.  But I tend to pop open the 3rd cavern, and then work up, away from the damp stone, til breaching the upper 2, via the 3rd cavern.  In this way, all the FB's trickle down, to that breach.  That's how I do it.   Also don't forget to open up shooting lanes for crossbowdwarfs, around that one breach. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:16:59 am »

Caverns cover multiple Z levels - if you use (k) to look at the space in the cavern, it probably says "Open Space".  Use (>) to go down a few levels until you see normal ground.  Enter down at one of the levels the cavern has ground.

Be aware that it's another entrance into your fortress ...

Oh, that's something I hadn't thought about. Come to think of it, that's a likely explanation. I didn't realize that those single, grey dots in the middle of the squares were the lower floor.

As for being another entrance in, yes I know, I look forward to the fun :P

But I'm prepared, I have a squad of 10 axedwarves fully kitted out in plate armour.