Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs don't understand minecarts  (Read 304 times)

Dickso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfs don't understand minecarts
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:47:24 am »

I finally figured out how to set up minecart tracks, and I thought I was well on the way to building freight transportation systems (and maybe even public transportation systems!) around my fortresses. I saw the minecart systems accomplish the basics: dwarfs drop specified goods in stockpile, dwarfs load goods from stockpile into minecart, dwarfs push minecart to second stockpile, dwarfs dump goods into second stockpile, dwarfs push minecart back to starting position. All seemed good.

Then, I noticed that my dwarfs added some other step to the process: dwarfs pick up goods from second stockpile, carry them back along minecart track, and dump them in first stockpile again. Which really seems to defeat the purpose of having minecarts in the first place. How can I get my dwarfs to leave the goods in the second stockpile? Both the first and second stockpiles are enabled for the good in question (thread of all types), so I don't know why the dwarfs feel that one thread stockpile is innately better than the other.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs don't understand minecarts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:51:00 am »

[q] over both stockpiles and see if either is set to give or take from the other stockpile.
If that isn't the problem, doublecheck to see that the second stockpile accepts the thread.

If it's neither of these, I don't know what the problem would be.