Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridgeesteems, preparing for death.  (Read 1116 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Bridgeesteems, preparing for death.
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:07:36 am »

Yay, finally! My tombs are completed! I guess this would be a good time to turn on invaders :D

Hall of the Hated Sun
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Forever Frozen Tomb

See the new full fortress map at:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-29879-sneakpreview
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeesteems, preparing for death.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:13:48 am »

beautifultastic.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:24:59 am »

Artistic :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:23:39 pm »

It's very... Clean. This disturbs me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:47 pm »

It's very... Clean. This disturbs me.

Working on that..

Unfortunatly the dragon got grinded to mincemeat by a spiked silver ball trap, before it could stumble into a cage trap. Dragon breeding project chance for this fort decreases.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:47:26 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30:43 pm »

That is gorgeous!  Fifteen years of treefarming!  Sheesh, I've never had a fort go that long before it either went foom or I got bored with it. XD  Very nice work!
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »

The Bronze Colossus had to agree: the magma minefield is working properly. Who needs big bronze statues anyway. Next time I shouldn't forget to close the shutters on my catapult hole though. I'm gonna need to train up a new siege engineer for more masterwork parts if it catches on fire. Last one died of old age.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:42:19 pm by martinuzz »

Misturr Crow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [ONLY_WITTY_IN_HEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »

This is quite possibly the most beautiful creation I have seen since before 0.31.
All you need now is a series of candy bridges covering the entire path to the tombs from the edge of the map. To suit the name.

I commend your patience, sir. How long did this project take? (IRL) What else occupied you during your masterpiece's construction?
I'm in goddamn awe.
>

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »

This is quite possibly the most beautiful creation I have seen since before 0.31.
Thank you, that's quite a compliment. But I'm afraid you give me too much credit.

All you need now is a series of candy bridges covering the entire path to the tombs from the edge of the map. To suit the name.
I've mined out 1 piece of candy so far. But I'm cheating with it. I altered the make wafers reaction to not only give wafers, but also give back one piece of raw adamantine. It's too much of a micromanagement hassle to abuse on a large scale, but I really wanted to give my champion an adamantine breastplate. Breaching hell will come when I feel the time is ripe for that. Need more dwarves first. And capture a GCS.

I commend your patience, sir. How long did this project take? (IRL)
I've had 18 out of my 25 days of holiday from work behind me, so I guess 18 days.

What else occupied you during your masterpiece's construction?
some !!SCIENCE!! on jailing and hammering dwarves to keep them happy and toughen them up. Periodically jailing your dwarves is a very good way to increase general happiness. (happy to be free thought).

Also, this is a 'generation fortress'. I capped migration at 100, and have a child cap of 30. Over the past 40 years, my fort is slowly growing in population (166 now). I'm gaining about 5 adult dwarves per year and losing 2-3 to old age. Soon, the 100th child will be born in the fort, and I'm bound to see the first great--grandparents. I was declared a mountainhome some 20 years ago, and the Queen died of old age. I might start a community story once the Duke passes away. I've had that thought ever since I started the fort, but I'm still playing to let it's history build up, and inspiration grow on me.

Apart from that, I've just been trying to create a fortress that, while based on a 11x11 design doctrine, still looks natural and 'feels right'.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:46 pm »

By treefarming do you mean the variety via farm plots that shows up in Masterwork DF, or just setting aside areas where trees will randomly grow? I can't get treefarming (via farm plots) to work in MDF without it crashing the game when the trees mature. I've been looking for a solution to that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:04 am »

Heh, no planting of trees here. Just plain vanilla treefarming