Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowardly predators  (Read 2043 times)

Mugtorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cowardly predators
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:11:12 am »

Hey,
is there a way to stop predators from running away from my dwarves? Tried adding [LIKES_FIGHTING] [NOFEAR] to predators but the first token doesnt seem to work and the [NOFEAR] token controls siege retreat behaviour i suppose? [PRONE_TO_RAGE:something] token works, but there is no way to stop the "No longer enraged" spam.
Oh and also why wont creatures with [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] or [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] spawn?  I just copied polar bears raws, changed the name, increased frequency to 100 and he just wont spawn no matter what. Removed both tokens and there he is!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Cowardly predators
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:59:30 am »

nofear works.

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:00:40 am »

I have some new creatures that don't spawn too, and they have CURIOUSBEAST_EATER tag. In the wiki says that these tokens are caste type, but in the mountain gnome raws CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER isn't located in caste level, and the same for keas.

In adventure mode, the creatures with AMBUSHPREDATOR tag won't run, don't remember if this happens in fortress mode. LARGE_PREDATOR should work too, if they are larger than you. About NOFEAR, the creatures that have this tag, won't run when they are badly injured.

Mugtorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:57 am »

Well 650k bodysize [LARGE_PREDATOR]s with [LIKES_FIGHTING] [NOFEAR] run like chickens when dwarf comes close.

[AMBUSHPREDATOR] is the one crocs use? Will try it when i get back home.

Oh i also tried removing their eyes. They wont run, they just walk around minding their own business and scare everyone. Still wont attack though

Tried [AMBUSHPREDATOR]. Doesnt work.
[LIKES_FIGHTING] should work if the wiki is correct but it doesnt seem to
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:32:13 am by Mugtorg »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:28:40 am »

Try PRONE_TO_RAGE, it helps a lot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 02:09:56 pm »

Oh and also why wont creatures with [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] or [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] spawn?  I just copied polar bears raws, changed the name, increased frequency to 100 and he just wont spawn no matter what. Removed both tokens and there he is!
They spawn just fine. [FREQUENCY:XX] isn't a percentage chance of something spawning (i.e. a 100 does not guarantee a spawn). Instead it works as a relative chance of spawning (so if you have 2 creatures with [FREQUENCY:100] both trying to spawn in a given biome, the chance of each spawning is 100/(100+100), or 50%). Since a fair amount of creatures also have [FREQUENCY:100] the chance of any given creature spawning is still fairly low. If you absolutely want them to spawn then what you want to do is add the [UBIQUITOUS] token to them, which forces them to spawn in all areas that they can.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:28 pm »

I wonder, what happens if you put UBIQUITOUS on every creature in given biome? Do they all appear there with the same chance, or will FREQUENCY still work as it is? What's the point of that token then?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:19:23 pm »

I put UBIQUITOUS on all of the creatures in my mod, but even I cant say for sure if it makes the creature selection more diverse or not.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:56:08 pm »

I wonder, what happens if you put UBIQUITOUS on every creature in given biome? Do they all appear there with the same chance, or will FREQUENCY still work as it is? What's the point of that token then?
Here's the method the game uses to determine what creatures are present in a biome:
1)Determine how many creatures you want in the biome (X creatures remaining)
2)Add any UBIQUITOUS creatures (if 'U' is the number of UBIQUITOUS creatures for that biome, X-U creatures remaining)
3)Fill any empty slots left by drawing from a general pool where each creature has a number of entries equal to its FREQUENCY, and once a creature has been picked it is removed from the pool completely.

As a result having too many UBIQUITOUS creatures can reduce overall variety and end up making all of a given biome type have the same creatures because the UBIQUITOUS ones edge out the creatures from the general pool. If you have more UBIQUITOUS creatures then the game needs for a given biome (U>X) then probably the game will just select the first X many creatures that have UBIQUITOUS and ignore the rest. It's possible that it might run a second pool, one with the UBIQUITOUS creatures and one with the normal ones, but I'm guessing that it just picks the first ones present in the raws and leaves it at that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »

I guessed so, I'll try to be careful with UBIQUITOUS, thank you.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:35:16 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess havinf all creatures UBIQUITIOUS does nothing then... ^^ Guess I try commenting all out for some testruns, and see what happens.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:51 pm »

Yeah Meph I already comment out all your Ubiquitous, I could never figure out why you did that ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »

I thought ubiqutious meant it appears everywhere. I didnt know that there is a max number of creatures types per region.

If I take the wikis word for it, it would mean that all my creatures appear in regions, so I expected one fort to have all 2000 creatures sooner or later. ^^

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 05:14:28 pm »

Yeah I didn't know that detail either!  I took out because I like having some creatures be common and some be rare, and Ubiquitous doesn't allow that.  Of course you also made all creatures seem to have the same Frequency, you seem very dedicated to animal ubiquousity :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 05:18:29 pm »

I am dedicated to randomness. I remember the WTF I got in the forum, after I made unicorns and trolls and whatever available to all regions ^^ Half of the people said: NO, I'm dead, the other half: Wow, I've never seen this creature before.

So yeah, I think animals are boring, and monsters are awesome :P

I guess I remove all ubiqutious, and just add it so a small selection of creatures I want to appear always, like the facehuggers and fireflys. And sorry Mugtorg, for abducting the thread a bit.