Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge: Doomsday Preppers  (Read 1050 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Challenge: Doomsday Preppers
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:28:59 am »

Starting conditions:
Gen a world. Alter dwarf entity before worldgen to make children grow up after 2 years.
Build a fort on a 3x3 map, to prepare for the challenge. Don't build anything big. Instead, focus on locking away two married couples in two walled-off bunkers, constructed on opposing edges of the map.

Doomsday Prepper Holdings per family:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once the two couples have been locked away, breach the circus. Try to go as straight down as possible, somewhere in the centre of the map. Once all your dwarves, except your 2 doomsday prepper families have been killed by the clowns, the challenge begins.

Objective:
Seal off the Circus, and kill all escaped demons. Migrants (if any still dare come) may only be used as ad hoc military. They are not allowed any civilian tasks. Migrant waves, goblin sieges, and caravans might distract the clowns long enough to allow your Preppers to attempt sealing the breach. Make use of your 2-year old adults, bring together the two families, and breed dwarves to defeat the clowns.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Challenge: Doomsday Preppers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »

Hmm... I would disagree with the 2 year child thing. Wouldn't it be better to give the children their normal maturation time and also give them novice natural hunting skill so they automatically arm themselves and shoot tasty cavern critters whilst retaining their weak stature? Doesn't seem to make sense that the Dwarves have somehow prepared to the point of metamorphosis.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »

I'd only bring pigtail seeds and rock nuts, maximumal minimalism :D

Also doesn't the underworlders tend to wander off the map? It'd take years, probably upward of half a century, to get anything in place with such small family and without shortening the growing up ( I did see you said modding them to 2 years,  but it's still more timesaving than challenge ). Seems to be more of a VAULT challenge than anything :D

I see you also didn't include even a single block to make workshops with in the list, they'll die of starvation within a few month with just booze too.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »

I see you also didn't include even a single block to make workshops with in the list, they'll die of starvation within a few month with just booze too.

He did give them a pick and two dwarves per bunker, which is one more dwarf than "hermit" challenges. And especially since mining skill doesn't affect drop rate anymore, that is enough. He also gave them ten meals each (plump helmets) which would last two dwarves a few months; plenty of time to get some farming going. If the floor of the surface bunker is unpaved, shrubs will grow there and (as long as it's not on a mountain biome) can be replanted in a small farm plot. Also, unless the setup party miraculously dodges all the caverns while digging into HFS, any subterranean soil the survivors dig out will grow more plants and trees, and even grazers in case the survivors manage to reclaim save havens in the caverns and trap some Rutherers or something.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.