Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma and water breath.  (Read 512 times)

blademan9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma and water breath.
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:25:59 am »

I'm trying to figure out how out how to make a creature spew water and magma, for the purpose of encasing opponents in obsidian. So far, they only shoot out magma globs, which don't cover areas in magma.
So how do I do it.
There is a massive magma snake moving in down stairs as well as a flood and a tunnel to hell also downstairs and you are worried about me putting my feet on the furniture.
GWG you are meant to be the sane one.
Just because the apocalypse is happening downstairs is no reason to abandon manners young wizard.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Magma and water breath.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:28:44 am »

I dont think that there is a way to do this. Magma and water can be spawned in workshops, but I dont think anyone figured out a way for interactions or creatures to do this. The syntax in the raws is slightly different and does not allow the same trick.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:41:27 am »

is it hard coded? is the magma from a magma man tissue the same as the stuff you find in the ground?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:45:34 am by Teach »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:13 am »

No. Liquids are hardcoded.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »

Is the magma from a magma man tissue the same as the stuff you find in the ground?
It's not. As Meph said, liquids are all hardcoded.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »

is it hard coded? is the magma from a magma man tissue the same as the stuff you find in the ground?

Though you cannot produce magma or water breath in the form that the liquid will fill up a space, essentially having a gargoyle-like creature you park next to a pit and say "fill 'er up Sonny Jim" you can create custom materials that can be used by creatures in interactions such as the handy material emission interaction (used for fireballs, dragon breath, and in the case of some modders cheese or even booze).

The magma man has "magma" blood via this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The fact is the above only turns the Magma Man into a Mud Pudding man with slushy basalt blood. The important part is this:

[FIXED_TEMP:12000] // This gives all the materials magma like temperatures. Give it to any material and it will burn and maim just about anything.

Take these and add it to a custom material, map it to the material in the material emission interaction and add that to the creature.

On a side note I'm not able to find the magma man any where in the creature_next_underground raw file... I wonder where he scampered off to...