Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP! I CANT MAKE DETAILED MAPS!  (Read 883 times)

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HELP! I CANT MAKE DETAILED MAPS!
« on: November 03, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »

Dwarf fortress keeps on crashing when i try to make detailed maps. I can make maps from old saves but any new world it crashes. Any ideas on why its happening?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! I CANT MAKE DETAILED MAPS!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »

You mean advanced worldgen? No, I have no idea why its happening because you're not giving me any info other than "it crashes when I try to make detailed maps" :P

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »

What information do you need?  :-\

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »

errorlog.txt? What exactly do you mean by detailed maps, anyway?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

You need a new detailed maps card.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:37:13 pm »

errorlog.txt? What exactly do you mean by detailed maps, anyway?

mangulwort is probably refering to the export detailed maps option of legends mode.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:37:31 pm »

I think by 'detailed' maps he means embarks; they actually are, in essence, in-depth sections of the world map.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:39:14 pm »

No, no, it's a Cartography Mod.  Custom reactions to generate maps of other save folders.  Part of a Parallel Universe overarching Mod. Series.

Needs more Unobtanium for the custom reactions in the Drafting Table work shop.  Train up your Cartographer with simple river sketches and land surveys of the local embark area first.  Does not affect amount of materials used, but affects quality and speed to produce.

Also, dig deeper.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »

He's talking about the 'export detailed maps' option in legends mode.

OP, there could be two reasons why your game is crashing, in ascending order of likelihood.

1) If it is a CTD, you probably don't have enough RAM. The map export takes a big bunch of RAM, so if you are trying to export large worlds or you dont' have much RAM in your computer, it will crash. You can try making DF large address aware in an attempt to solve this issue, assuming you have above 2 gig (?) RAM.

2) If DF just freezes, you don't have enough patience. When you export detailed maps (or XML dump), DF will freeze for a short period due to the system drain imposed by these processes. You basically just have to wait it out and eventually should return to normal. It takes about 30 seconds on average. If you've exported maps before though, this is unlikely.

You really do need to provide more info though. What kind of crash? Is your game modded? Have you tried on a fresh (un-upgraded) install?