Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Building a 'Village' above ground?  (Read 4045 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a 'Village' above ground?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:13 am »

• Advanced Worldgen -- Lots of little things to make life easier, more difficult or more interesting.  One thing I heard recently that I haven't tried yet is that setting erosion really high gives you volcanoes that are more pillars of lava than peaks, while the rest of the land is pretty flat.
This reminds me.  I had a few good embarks, when i first started playing, on the tops (and within the strata) of deep river-eroded canyons.  Been ages since I've found (or, possibly, properly aimed for) a good 20Z-or-so-deep canyon.  I've even tried setting erosion high and "periodically erode cliffs" to off (assuming that it normally smooths them down, these days).

Of course, in lieu of canyons in mountains, I now regularly seek out completely flat planes on grasslands or deserts, so I'm not doing myself many favours, but I always did like hollowing out 'stacks' and using them as guarded entryways to the upper-level bridges, or digging out fortifications in them to create effectively pre-built archery posts to cover stairs and ramps dug out of the sides of neighbouring ones. ;)

Erm.  Not sure what the point was here, except for being sparked into nostalgia.  Ignore me, please.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a 'Village' above ground?
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:30 am »

Ive tried this before. I notice that it helps if the first thing you build is an "inn". A dining room with open bedding up stairs, and possibly a still inside.
Pages: 1 2 [3]