Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Time for an upgrade?  (Read 3990 times)

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time for an upgrade?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:48 am »

Based on what Toady has said about his plans for the future it seems to me that "the game" of building a fort as we currently play it will eventually be just the first stage in a larger strategy/fantasy/roleplaying/sandbox/new genre entirely game.  With that in mind it would be kind of counterproductive to try to refocus Toady's efforts towards putting in purdy 3d graphics with bloom to compete with knockoffs that have a cargo-cult level understanding of what Toady is actually doing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:42:15 am by thrush_titan »

shifty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 03:16:46 pm »

I've gotten used to the UI also and I'm pretty fast with it, but I've found that I actually lose the ability to effectively use the UI if I take a long break from DF. Because of this, I would support a UI improvement of some kind.

However, what I'd take over a UI improvement is some kind of graphics improvement. The only reason I say this is because it's currently difficult for me to form a "big picture" of what my topography looks like with the current graphics system, especially when I break into a cave and there are ramps everywhere. I mean, it's not terrible after you get used to it, but I'd kill to be able to see multiple z-levels at once somehow. It's also difficult to see things when your dwarfs are firing bolts at a flying enemy.

So yeah, I don't want graphics for the "pretty" factor, I'd like them for the functionality factor.

Although I am relatively new (been playing a year or so off-and-on) and I'm still blown away by the complexity factor of this game. I would never sacrifice that for anything else. Also, I understand that home-grown graphics can be a big project, and as long as DF is a one-man project, I don't see anything crazy happening with the graphics any time soon.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:16 pm »

I've gotten used to the UI also and I'm pretty fast with it, but I've found that I actually lose the ability to effectively use the UI if I take a long break from DF. Because of this, I would support a UI improvement of some kind.

However, what I'd take over a UI improvement is some kind of graphics improvement. The only reason I say this is because it's currently difficult for me to form a "big picture" of what my topography looks like with the current graphics system, especially when I break into a cave and there are ramps everywhere. I mean, it's not terrible after you get used to it, but I'd kill to be able to see multiple z-levels at once somehow. It's also difficult to see things when your dwarfs are firing bolts at a flying enemy.

So yeah, I don't want graphics for the "pretty" factor, I'd like them for the functionality factor.

Although I am relatively new (been playing a year or so off-and-on) and I'm still blown away by the complexity factor of this game. I would never sacrifice that for anything else. Also, I understand that home-grown graphics can be a big project, and as long as DF is a one-man project, I don't see anything crazy happening with the graphics any time soon.

I've used Stonesense in 31. version, it's pretty nice for multi-Z view. I don't know if it's still being maintanted, I think it's part of DFHack currently. I'm not sure if that'll help with flying enemies, since even decent 3D display have trouble balancing between good detail and usability.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 11:51:18 am »

Sadly, polishing the UI makes next to no sense as long as there is significant change in game mechanics and stuff. I guess this will be the first thing to be addressed after Version 1.0.0 around 2030.
Some more search functions would be very much appreciated by me though. Like the Managers queue (j-m-q) search function, think about the possibilities if this worked in the stocks menu.....

Pages: 1 2 [3]