Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: And it was going so well  (Read 892 times)

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
And it was going so well
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »

So I was starting to expand my space in anticipation of more immigrants, getting serious about processing ore (though it will be nice if I can find more than just tin and silver), and even had something kill the local alligators (I'm not sure what, maybe my packs of hunting dogs and war dogs, maybe the guards for the dwarven caravans, maybe something else).  I'd made it through another winter, and got ready to flood the farmlands for their second year.  I set the floodgates to open and just after they were triggered I realized I hadn't locked the doors.  I quickly hit spacebar, but it got counted as a double hit, and the clock kept going.  Sure enough a horse and a dog were wandering through there and they managed to go through one of the doors at just the right time.  And of course, the additional room flooded... the one with the floodgate levers.  I was able to lock the doors leading to those rooms, and I have decent stockpiles, so maybe I can create a new farm before things get too bad, but I think next time there will be multiple doors between lever and floodgate, and I can't think of any way I could save that area now.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And it was going so well
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »

I always forget which lever leads to which floodgate and I managed to flood out a big area of two fortresses before I set up my immigrant death trap correctly.

As far as farming goes I think I'll just stick to the Nile style, as long as I keep drowning undesirables I can easily produce enough food that way.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »

You can avoid this with a variation of the no-door-farm trick, by taking advantage of the fact that floods won't flow over, into, or out of channels:

code:

===
#                              #===
#______________________________X===
#_###############_#            #===
#_#             X_#             ===
#_#             #_#
#_#             #_#
D_               _D
#_#             #_#
#_###############_#
#_________________#
###################

The doors are not necessary, but make things easier and serve as a precaution.  Plus more doors on your entranceway are always good.

Note that it is impossible (short of a bug or you building a third floodgate) for this setup to flood anything outside the confined square; channels can't be deleted and floods can't go over channels, so there's simply no way to let the water out.  Of course, you can't remove or significently edit it, either.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »

Note, however, that natural floods will flow over channels.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Note, however, that natural floods will flow over channels.</STRONG>

Natural floods aren't much of a threat, either. The seem to be waist-high at most, I've never had my dwarves even pay attention when the cave river floods, they keep hauling stone and wading through it to mine. (Well, okay, they occasionally lose track of stuff under the water, but otherwise ignore it.)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 01:54:00 am »

For people who use doors to stop water from flooding there fort, think about how an air lock works, you go in one door, then you have another door after that one before you get out into space. For even better protection just use even more doors between the area you flood and vital parts of your fort, sort of like watertight doors on ships to seal off a flooding section of the ship so that the rest of it is safe.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 03:10:00 am »

I've had a natural flood wash three dwarves into the river, where they drowned. So they're not entirely harmless.