Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor which is owned, when it's lying around in a stockpile?!  (Read 721 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor which is owned, when it's lying around in a stockpile?!
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »

Currently, i have a load of steel masterwork items in my stockpile, which no-one wants and instead they take iron/copper ones. Why? (presume because of ownership)

I checked in the military -> equip and had a look, all items are in red (so are owned?) is there any way to clear that using DFHack or other means?

as a sidenote question, how long does it usually take a bruise to heal? my guy who has ultra fast healing literally took 10 seconds. I swear some of those injuries were red, now all is gone. The bruise was easily gone in under 10 seconds, not sure what other damage she received.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Armor which is owned, when it's lying around in a stockpile?!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »

It can take a while for dwarves to get the idea to upgrade to more expensive equipments. How long have you waited? Sometimes ordering them to run around using squad's move command makes them get to it faster. Are they set to use generic equipment, instead of metal-specific ones?

No idea about healing, there're so much variable between dwarves' healing rate :D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

You can check ownershi pwith [k]->[ENTER].
Owned objects lying on the floor will be cleared of ownership after a while.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »

AFAIK only clothing can be owned, but not metal armor (or leather armor / leggings, for that matter). Dwarves can grow attached to armor pieces, shields and weapons though, but I don't believe that would cause the equipment listing entry to turn red.
If they are red in your equip list, check the stocks screen as well. Does there happen to be a yellow letter F, a purple letter D or a red letter M next to it's listing there?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:17:00 am »

AFAIK only clothing can be owned, but not metal armor (or leather armor / leggings, for that matter). Dwarves can grow attached to armor pieces, shields and weapons though, but I don't believe that would cause the equipment listing entry to turn red.
If they are red in your equip list, check the stocks screen as well. Does there happen to be a yellow letter F, a purple letter D or a red letter M next to it's listing there?

nope they are not any of those, or in brackets for forbidden.
I have played with the raws to prevent particular animals from appearing, (simply removed them) and that has worked. I am also cheating a lot on this save with changing all my items to masterwork steel :P
So perhaps DFHack has made a mess of it?

i am 99% sure it's to do with changing "over clothing" to "replace" clothing after changing which squad a dwarf is in. For example, i just changed one dwarf from one military to another, as i'm hoping my legendaries will possibly consider sparring with him, or that he'll learn somewhat faster. I noticed he took off all his items, and proceeded to pick up new ones, my entire equipment list for some armor types is red (excluding clothes). So my guess is that all that he was wearing, is now highlighted red and now the second set he has on, is also red.

i mean it in this screen:

as you can see, all of it is in red except the artifact. I actually have some which arn't red for boots, but that explains why he put 2 shoes on without a problem. But as a good example, i have literally 40 shields sitting next to him, instead he picks up a recently killed goblin one which is copper, i'm pretty sure they replace items to the best possible, so there is something weird going on.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:29:58 am »

For example, i just changed one dwarf from one military to another,

Perhaps here lies the problem. Go into the equipment mode of the (m) screen, then scroll to the (now empty) place in the squad where your transferred soldier used to be. Remove all armor that is still assigned to the empty spot. See if that helps.

Aslo, you do know that you can scroll down that list with red equipment, for multiple pages? What's listed in red there, is armor that is already assigned to another soldier, or to an empty spot in a squad
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:31:41 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »

For example, i just changed one dwarf from one military to another,

Perhaps here lies the problem. Go into the equipment mode of the (m) screen, then scroll to the (now empty) place in the squad where your transferred soldier used to be. Remove all armor that is still assigned to the empty spot. See if that helps.

I "think" it's worked. Although it doesn't explain why someone hasn't changed his weapon for a steel one yet, perhaps he will given time, or masterful steel isn't particularly much better than masterful iron

Aslo, you do know that you can scroll down that list with red equipment, for multiple pages? What's listed in red there, is armor that is already assigned to another soldier, or to an empty spot in a squad
I had 4 pages of red armor in some sections i.e gauntlets, as 2 are required. I think it's less now.

I might just simply have been stupid and not have realised i would need 30 boots for 15 dwarves! As that's 3 pages of red and simply wondered where it all was. Also had 2 injured blokes whom had it on but not in squads as i had removed them (they weren't gonna strip for me when they were unconcious lol)

Anyway, i "think" i'm fixed. i swear they weren't picking it up, will try and see if new members mind taking some of the old armor. Currently set my pop cap to my current population, so only children growing up can really be added though.

Thanks for help.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »

Quite likely he has grown attached to the weapon he is already holding. Dwarves will not swap out weapons they've grown attached to. You can fix that, but it needs some micromanagement.
(v) over the dwarf, and go into it's inventory screen. Find the weapon you want him to drop. Select that weapon, and press (d). Another dwarf will soon come, grab the weapon, and dump it.

However, for your soldier to realize he no longer has a weapon, and search for a new one, you must now first go into the military screen for said dwarf, and remove all weapons from his equipment list. Now leave the military screen, and unpause the game. Now, go back into the military screen, and select the weapon that you would like your dwarf to grab, in it's equipment list. Your dwarf should now go and grab the new weapon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:17:56 pm by martinuzz »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 06:36:10 pm »

Sometimes soldiers will claim equipment but not put it on because they're wearing too much clothing. Not sure if that's the problem here, but it's another thing that can stop dwarves from picking their armour out of the stockpile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:54:52 am »

To reiterate what was said earlier, and may contribute to this problem, I'm fairly sure equipment is assigned to Squad Slots, not individual dwarves.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:12 pm »

To reiterate what was said earlier, and may contribute to this problem, I'm fairly sure equipment is assigned to Squad Slots, not individual dwarves.

thanks for confirmation, i'm fairly sure also, so thats 100% in my books :P