Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i get my dwarves to clean up vermin remains?  (Read 723 times)

thevirtualgamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do i get my dwarves to clean up vermin remains?
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »

After a while, vermin remains have been piling up from my dwarves' pets killing them, and I don't know how to get my dwarves to clean it up.

Is there some way to get them to do this without me manually marking the remains for dumping?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get my dwarves to clean up vermin remains?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:16:17 pm »

Do you have a refuse pile?  I'm pretty sure they get moved there by default, although I think it can be disabled.

Once the vermin are moved to a refuse stockpile, they'll rot away eventually.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

thevirtualgamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:33:20 pm »

Do you have a refuse pile?  I'm pretty sure they get moved there by default, although I think it can be disabled.

Once the vermin are moved to a refuse stockpile, they'll rot away eventually.
Thank you very much! I didn't think it would be that simple.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »

They rot anyway, though based on what I've read about reanimated mussels you might want to shift them to a protected area if you have necromancers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »

That's mussel shells.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:08:32 pm »

That's mussel shells.
So by removing the only living part of the animal corpse, you create the possibility of it being resurrected as a zombie?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »

That's mussel shells.
So by removing the only living part of the animal corpse, you create the possibility of it being resurrected as a zombie?
Yup.
It's in part due to how vermin, shells, and reanimation work, but mostly it's a mystery as to why they can be animated at all--Mussels lack body parts that are heads or graspers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

That's mussel shells.
Ah, looks like I've been unecessarily cautious about vermin corpse collection.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.