Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins no longer have leaders, shouldn't the attacks stop?  (Read 1748 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Goblins no longer have leaders, shouldn't the attacks stop?
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

My last siege, I think my dorfs took out the goblin warband leader.  In addition, their civ description says "This land has no important leaders" now.  I still get ambushes and thieves showing up, though.  Are these just ragtag groups that were already en route when the leader died?  Or are ambushes/thieves not affected by whether or not the leader still lives?  I admit that either way, I'm pleased my half-assed poorly equipped (no ability to make steel or bronze, and I almost never get enough things that I request) military has pretty much wiped them out.  Maybe.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins no longer have leaders, shouldn't the attacks stop?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »

Having no leader just makes them unable to use mounts and reduces the invasion force somewhat. It probably makes them take longer between sieges and ambushes, though.

Well, you are fighting against artifical stupidity opponent that flees if the squad leader get off'd :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:58:32 pm »

You'd think that a civ's leaders getting off'd would make that civ stop attacking at least. That'd open it up to having more goblin civs attacking instead of only one (which would make sense.) but at least they won't come on mounts... Delicious, delicious mounts....

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »

Having no leader just makes them unable to use mounts and reduces the invasion force somewhat. It probably makes them take longer between sieges and ambushes, though.

Well, you are fighting against artificial stupidity opponent that flees if the squad leader get off'd :D

That wouldn't be so bad: the last force was 160 strong.  goblins, trolls, giant olms, cave crocs, and something else I can't recall.  My military was only 30, and the fort would likely have gone under had the Mountainhomes not been there to trade.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »

I'm sure many of us have- Wait, actual soldiers or just poorly armed rabble called up in a hurry?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:49:08 pm »

Just to note, trolls will still arrive with sieges, just no mounts.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:14:11 pm »

the last force was 160 strong.  goblins, trolls, giant olms, cave crocs, and something else I can't recall.  My military was only 30

Unless they're untrained and have no/terrible equipment, I'm not really seeing the problem here.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »

the last force was 160 strong.  goblins, trolls, giant olms, cave crocs, and something else I can't recall.  My military was only 30

Unless they're untrained and have no/terrible equipment, I'm not really seeing the problem here.

I finally figured out the military fairly well but they were still training when I was attacked.  Lack of decent armor/weapons through most of my fort's history (no iron, no flux, no tin for bronze, tons of copper, silver and gold, was still looking for candy, and some bad management on my part) didn't help.  I avoided having invaders for ages because I wasn't confident enough of my understanding of the military.

I've learned a lot from this fort, though. The next one will not have the same issues.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »

When in doubt bring the dreamsmashers out. Also known as atomsmashers. I find they thin out the enemy and rout some squads before I unleash the hounds and dwarves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:01 pm »

You killed their leader. Biz would America feel if someone assassinated Obama? Now imagine that there were only Democrats. How would we feel about the assassins?
They were here for nothing more than new children and the fabled wealth of the mountains. Now they're out for blood.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:55 pm »

I killed a goblin civ's general a decade ago and I still get sieges where every goblin has a mount. It's a bug if I recall correctly.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:58:49 pm »

It's no longer an issue, since my fort died finally due to FPS.  I can't play at less than 15, it drives me nuts.  Twas fun while it lasted though :D