Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Animal Corpses  (Read 626 times)

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small Animal Corpses
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:59:11 am »

Sorry for the newbie questions, I have several lizard corpses laying around and a dwarf with small animal dissection enable, but when add a task to the butcher shop to butcher/extract from dead animal he complains there is nothing to use. Surely he could get some small bones from those corpses? Or do I just need to wait for them to decompose as they are worthless?

Also, I've set 2 yaks "for slaughter" and also there is a small bunny corpse waiting. Yet he's constantly displaying "no job".

Am I missing something?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Small Animal Corpses
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:47:51 am »

You can't use lizard corpses.

Idiot-check: Have the yaks died? Tamed animals can't be butchered once they die.

Finally, even fully-grown rabbits yield pretty much nothing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:10:44 am »

He's off to kill the yaks now, it just seemed to take him some time to decide to go kill them.

I was just trying to work out, what can be dissected. It only lists "certain vermin" as a criteria.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Small_animal_dissection

I'm guessing finding out what classes as certain vermin is a case of trial and error. :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:09 am »

This should be helpful.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:45:26 am »

Only living, trapped vermin can be processed. You need to build animal traps or order your dwarves to actively catch them. Or you can buy them from caravans. You can only aquire extracts from vermin, like cave spider venom, but no meat/bones/skin etc.

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:19 am »

Thanks guys, really appreciated. I better build some traps then it seems :-) More learning.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »

Vermin is pretty much useless, if you want to get rid of them you just let out some cats and make sure have a refuse pile designated.