Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More information on relationships?  (Read 302 times)

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More information on relationships?
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:23:19 pm »

I might be missing something, but is there a way to find out more information on the relationships?

In my fortresses first year, my expedition leader and my woodworker hold grudges against each other. Yet, having read their thoughts/preferences pages, I cannot see any reason why they hate each other. Not much in the announcements either, I just don't get it (maybe it's just a dwarf thing?)

The wiki actually answered that one "It is currently unknown how a grudge is formed."
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Grudge

However, is this something I should keep a major eye on? i.e. expecting my leader to execute the woodworker randomly?

Thanks

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More information on relationships?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »

Grudges are essentially the opposite of friendships - interactions like marriage that require friendship will never occur between grudge holders, and should they both spend a lot of time near each other, especially free time, instead of getting periodic mood lifting thoughts from talking to each other, they'll both get periodic mood lowering thoughts from talking to each other.

When one member of a friendship dies the other gains a strong negative thought, but when one member of a grudge dies the other gains a positive thought.

I've never seen grudges cause dwarves to do more than complain, feuds are something for the "Playerlogs from 2050" thread (not yet something that has any affect on play).

Sometimes community DF games feature dwarves with coded grudges, with involved players using that detail to flesh out their stories and give motivational depth for some of the actions that happen in play.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.