Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too much food?  (Read 5457 times)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Too much food?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:50:59 pm »

My brother-in-law designs forts pretty much just like this, all big rooms and no real design to it. He just turned eight and used to lose pretty much every fort to dehydration until I added some helpful tokens to his dwarves.

Still haven't taught him efficiency or aesthetics yet, though...
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, back on topic:
That's how my regular food stockpile looks like, except I make two separate non-barrel/pots stockpiles, one for seeds and one for non-edible food in need of processing (wheat, flour, quarry bushes and their leaves, fat and the like).
I also always forbid all dyes and lye from my food stockpiles, and make separate custom stockpiles for them alone near the appropriate workshops.

I usually run six 4x4 plots, one per seed, harvest set to only planters, with two dedicated planters, each one with his personal bedroom just a few tiles away from the plots. The planters are also burrow-restricted to the plots, their bedrooms, the food stockpile(s) and the legendary dining room. Maximum efficency and I'm always overflowing with food.

And clothes. Seriously, follow the suggestions about starting a clothing industry, and focus on producing shirts, trousers and shoes. Dye everything.
Once the farming picks up, you'll need dedicated craftdwarves just to keep up with the ludicrous amounts of threshing, weaving, dyeing and clothesmaking.
Just as now you're drowning in food, you'll be drowning in apparel (and wealth, thus sieges, thus Fun), with the added benefit of preventing bad thoughts from clothes rotting since there's always a ton available.

Prepared food has a similar effect on your wealth, and I find it satisfying to see huge stacks of prepared food outside of barrels.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:59:44 pm by wagawaga »

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

how could you ever have too much wood?! i chop down every tree, buy every peice of wood from traders, and request wod at max priority, and still dont have enough wood to do a decent metal industry. this could be because ive never been able to find anything to make into coke, so i have to use hundreds of charcoal per game year.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »

Pots are for booze. All my food is in a minecart quantum stockpile that doesn't allow barrels, except for the prepared meal stockpiles in the dining room. This works great as long as I never deconstruct anything on that z-level.

All my booze pots are green glass. I find that I run out of stone in DF2012. Minecart stockpiles have all but eliminated the need for big digs.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 05:07:52 pm »

Wow, you store everything on the same z-level. You should meet a dragon, the fire will burn everything away. Everything.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »

The metal/stone stuff acts as a fire-stopper.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »

Why do you use precious wood for barrels? That's heresy.
8)
I play df since 2d. I learned that stone pots can substitute barrels about week ago.  8) So now I can save those rainforests...

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »

Uh, I never said I build on one z-level. I just said I try not to deconstruct on the z-level where my stockpiles are, because of the bug that magically moves the stockpile's entire contents to the place where you deconstruct stuff. That bug is hell when you have 4 years worth of masterwork roasts that are suddenly sitting on the ground.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 07:42:52 pm »

I once had an entire half z-level dug out and cleared for food storage

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 08:08:04 pm »

For the wood it really depends on the embark. I had a fortress once where I was burning several logs on repeat, making wooden crafts and bolts on repeat, doing all sorts of extra stuff with my wood whenever the mood struck, and I still had so much wood that the problem for me was hollowing out enough stockpile rooms to keep up.
Pages: 1 [2]