Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The worst games you ever LOVED the story of?  (Read 7615 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst games you ever LOVED the story of?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 09:23:15 am »

You mean "Arcanum: Critical Miss"?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 04:39:38 pm »

More like "Arcanum: Unkillable Stone Golems". The setting, story and, most importantly, music(Arcanum has the best soundtrack I've ever heard, and that's not an exaggeration) made Arcanum unquestionably awesome, but those golems...

The worst game I've ever loved has to be Planescape: Torment, though. I love reading books in any format, but PS:T managed to make even reading painful with its terrible yellowish-pixelated-letters-on-uneven-brown-background interface design. The story was utterly worth it, but still, freaking torturous.
Also, it taught me the Zen of playing through terrible games that have only one or two redeeming aspects, which, in turn, allowed me to soldier through a couple Japanese games later in my life. That's something to be thankful for, right?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.
... that's kind of a joke. But to my credit, I really DID enjoy the dialogue more than the action itself, mainly because it made me laugh my head off it was so stupid.

I mean, this is a game where people say stuff like:

"North! South! East! West! Master of the center! I am SUPER ASIA! HAHAHAHAHAHA~"
-Master Asia

So, I didn't love the story. Or the gameplay. I loved laughing at the characters' pointless and horribly stupid dialogue and laughing my arse off.

Does that count?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 09:10:57 pm »

Dark Cloud 2.  There was a fantastic story I felt but so many levels required backtracking, playing fucking golf (I am not joking halfway through the game it turns into a golf simulator at points and you actually need to win some of them to advance) or just plain off guessing what the game wanted you to do next.  (Building the towns for instance, some places you couldn't get by without cheating and using a guide or just guessing randomly.)
Nom nom nom

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 11:27:18 pm »

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.

The fuck!?!

I'm checking this out now.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »

More like "Arcanum: Unkillable Stone Golems". The setting, story and, most importantly, music(Arcanum has the best soundtrack I've ever heard, and that's not an exaggeration) made Arcanum unquestionably awesome, but those golems...

I remember there was a bug in the dungeon with the stone golems where your companions just started to slowly hate you for no reason. I played the game before I um... actually knew about patches, and the only way I found to deal with that was to make my character increasingly beautiful as the game went on. By the end, he was the most gorgeous man who had ever lived, but that was about it.

Arcanum was a very frustrating game.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »

Dark Cloud 2.  There was a fantastic story I felt but so many levels required backtracking, playing fucking golf (I am not joking halfway through the game it turns into a golf simulator at points and you actually need to win some of them to advance) or just plain off guessing what the game wanted you to do next.  (Building the towns for instance, some places you couldn't get by without cheating and using a guide or just guessing randomly.)

...I loved Spheda! The rewards were great and you only ever HAD to do it once. The towns thing was quite a bit worse in the first Dark Cloud, but I do recall there being more town parameters being revealed as you acquired geostones, so I'm not sure where your problem lay. Maybe I enjoyed the game more than your average guy, I dunno.
You had to do it to get geostones, many times over.  As well  I believe levels 2 5 and 7 had mystery parameters that no amount of geostones could unlock... :(  Though I did love the game soo much, the invention system was truly awesome.
Nom nom nom

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 02:29:19 am »

Skyrim is kind of a reverse to this since the gameplay is great but THE STORY SUCK SO BAD IT TRANSCENDS HUMAN COMPREHENSION AND IF I UNDERSTOOD HOW BAD IT IS MYSELF MY HEAD WOULD PROBABLY EXPLODE.

((By "story" I mean the quests et cetera. The lore is great))
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]