Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Max Migrants Per Year  (Read 1649 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Max Migrants Per Year
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:36 am »

The suggestion is to input into the config file the maximum amount of migrants which can turn up every year.

I don't mind migrants, but sometimes I get 20 at a time and that kinda messes the game up for me. I'd want a more gradual increase.

So the idea is that you could change the amount of migrants which come in per year - obviously they will still be limited by max population and the other factors - its just a cap people could use to get more gradual migrant counts.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Max Migrants Per Year
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:17 am »

I would rather see a multiplier, myself.  I'd honestly rather throttle migrants down to 5% or less.

Toady says that there are so many migrants because the game is supposed to be hard, and we are supposed to have enough to make up for losses, but when 7 dwarves in a hole attract 100 migrants in a year, there's no way you can keep up with killing them off except in an extreme case of FB getting inside your fort, fatal syndromes, or tantrum spirals that wipe out the whole fortress.

Besides, if you can survive with 7 dwarves with nearly no skills and nearly no equipment, you certainly will survive if you lose 10 out of 30 dwarves.

I'd much rather make building up a fortress be a grand climb and an achievement.  Becoming Mountainhome should be one of the crowning accomplishments of a fortress.  Managing to convince 100 dwarves to live in your ludicrously wealthy but still quite wretched hole should be a time for celebration, not moaning as you have to sort through the next 40 immigrant grand master cheesemakers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:51:20 am »

I would definitely agree with migrant reduction. Or alternatively, exporting it somewhere so it's editable/moddable. I hate having a fortress of 20 dwarfs all micromanaged to death only to be swamped by 36 migrants in one wave. Growing is fun, but I would also prefer it to be more gradual.

I understand that this game is more fun when played in a harder/more evil biome, but for newbs just trying to understand how things work and establishing production in good areas, the numbers are just two high. I would like to limit the number to half-a-dozen or so per season, and only more in extreme circumstances.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:03:35 am »

I think that a maximum per wave would be simpler than a maximum per year.
Maybe add both it and a multiplier.

Hello, NW_Kohaku. I haven't seen you around the Suggestions board in a while. Glad you're back.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:36:59 am »

No he's not, actually. I revived an old thread because I didn't want to start a new one with the same topic. His post is from March.

Could someone who better understands the internal workings of DF tell me how hard would this cap actually be to implement? While we are hovering the subject - do we know exactly what influences the number of migrants coming to a fort, besides wealth? Also - there seems to be a very large margin of randomness involved - do we know how predictable/random this variable is?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:10:47 am »

No he's not, actually. I revived an old thread because I didn't want to start a new one with the same topic. His post is from March.

Could someone who better understands the internal workings of DF tell me how hard would this cap actually be to implement? While we are hovering the subject - do we know exactly what influences the number of migrants coming to a fort, besides wealth? Also - there seems to be a very large margin of randomness involved - do we know how predictable/random this variable is?

Last I heard, it was relative amount of wealth produced between liasion visits. First two waves are hard-coded and tend to be much smaller than later waves, around as big as older version's out of thin air migrant, so I think those are using same mechanisms. New waves seem to be using some other mechanism, or a huge multipliers.

I suspect the cap might not be difficult to implement in of itself, but that it might not fit within the whole system/philosophy that's being attempted?

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:39 am »

Well, the question if it fits within the whole system/philosophy is debatable, but surely - exporting it would make both sides happy.

Could I fiddle with it in the following manner: I use the "Lazy Newb Pack" and it has the Fort Cap Limit as one of the variables (default: 200). Let's say I'm currently at 50 dwarves, could I set the cap to, let's say - 60 before loading the game for the next time. Than, after I get immigrants up to 60, I save - exit - change the cap to 70 and so on. In this slightly time consuming way one could have a fine control over the migrant influx. Is this possible, or does this variable influence only newly started forts?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

It's possible, yes, it depends on liasion reporting back the population, though. I've done it with some effect, though I usually just stick to cap of 50. They usually send more than what would hit the cap, but not too much more, in my experience, maybe a dozen at most, before stopping.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

...Huh. Somehow I thought this was an older thread. Well, good move on your part.

Well, the question if it fits within the whole system/philosophy is debatable, but surely - exporting it would make both sides happy.

Could I fiddle with it in the following manner: I use the "Lazy Newb Pack" and it has the Fort Cap Limit as one of the variables (default: 200). Let's say I'm currently at 50 dwarves, could I set the cap to, let's say - 60 before loading the game for the next time. Than, after I get immigrants up to 60, I save - exit - change the cap to 70 and so on. In this slightly time consuming way one could have a fine control over the migrant influx. Is this possible, or does this variable influence only newly started forts?
Two things that come to mind which would be issues are the fact that some play multiple forts at once and that popcap either stops or allows a whole migrant wave at a time. So...no, it wouldn't.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:40 am »

Migrant waves don't care about the amount of fort members you have. Being over the cap just stops them from spawning. The size of the wave is not influenced by the cap. It's entirely possible to have 69 dwarves out of a cap of 70 and then get 21 migrants, or something like that.

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53:18 am »

Damn. Thanks for the answer. We really need finer control over this.