Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone beds???  (Read 1346 times)

Omnipresence

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stone beds???
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for a while now, but something recently came up in my fort that I wanted to post about. Okay here it is: a gabbro bed. Having read the starter guide, I came across a section where it said beds could only be made of wood. But, in my humble 40 dwarf fortress, I had a mood where one of my miners created an artifact bed. I'm on a phone now, but I will post pics later.

Can anyone explain why I have an artifact STONE bed?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Stone beds???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:47:11 pm »

You're lucky you don't have a bed made out of iron. Actually, that would be pretty good because it would raise the dwarf's metalsmithing skill to legendary. But more on topic, this is normal. Artifact items can be made from almost anything, so don't be surprised if you end up with a platinum toy axe that menaces with spikes of horse leather.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:09:07 pm »

That bed is gonna be useful if you get yourself a proper noble. Artifact furniture is the best way to up the room quality so they don't get all mad that Urist McPeasant has a nicer home than they do. So you're pretty lucky in that regard.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Omnipresence

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys.
That bed is gonna be useful if you get yourself a proper noble. Artifact furniture is the best way to up the room quality so they don't get all mad that Urist McPeasant has a nicer home than they do. So you're pretty lucky in that regard.
Thats what I thought when it was completed.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:11 am »

Yeah, I once had a mood where a dwarf made a bed out of a ruby. One ruby. And nothing else.

The bed went in the King's quarters. He liked beds, and is one of the few kings I have been able to keep happy successfully, because he kept admiring that ridiculously expensive ruby bed.

No, I don't know how you make a bed out of a single ruby, either. It's almost as bad as making a pickaxe out of a baby, but with less slaughter.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:10:47 am »

No, I don't know how you make a bed out of a single ruby, either. It's almost as bad as making a pickaxe out of a baby, but with less slaughter.
Well, scientifically speaking, a babies bones are made out of cartilage, and the pick was a BONE pick, so I doubt it was a newborn. Therefore, presuming you coulld find a way to wedge them together (perhaos with dwarven glue?), made the handle out of cartilageor something, and didn't waste much material, I could imagine that.

Wel, we don't know how large dwarven rubies are. They could be huge. Afterall, they are the size of a rock. someone check the RAWs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:41:04 am »

Well, scientifically speaking, a babies bones are made out of cartilage, and the pick was a BONE pick, so I doubt it was a newborn. Therefore, presuming you coulld find a way to wedge them together (perhaos with dwarven glue?), made the handle out of cartilageor something, and didn't waste much material, I could imagine that.

If you get a fell mood the dwarf might pick a baby and turn it into a pick. Usually they create furniture though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:00:00 am »

If you get a fell mood the dwarf might pick a baby and turn it into a pick. Usually they create furniture though.
No, we we talking about This.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:28:29 am »

I've had an artifact green glass bed once.

Since my mayor liked green glass, that made it easy for me to outfit her room properly - everything made of glass.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!