Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better way of using the stock screen?  (Read 1013 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better way of using the stock screen?
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

I find the stock screen incredibly useful for trying to understand my "economy". However, I also find it awkward to use because there is a large list, sorted on something not immediately obvious, and now way to use the mouse. So, I end up pressing way too many keys to find a particular subcategory.

Question: Is there a better way to navigate / search the stock screen? Or do people just browse their particular stockpiles?

Devs: What would help me a lot is something like (a) a "search" button, say "/", that does incremental search like the new job menu, or (b) an extra categorisation level with the same options as the stockpile menu (which would also help me undestand what exactly goes in which stockpile, and/or (c) allow using the mouse in the stock screen.

Gluckauf!

pr0d4u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better way of using the stock screen?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:37 pm »

something like the search form the 'bring goods to trade depot' menu would be nice..
If there should ever be a hardcoded change by any chance: an additional filter for product quality like in the stockpile menu (implicit filter for '+' etc) should be very useful and not too complicated feature once a 's'earch function exists.

Also on big screens the 'z' stockpile list only spans 2-3 pages. This makes the 'scroll page down' button rather useless, as it scrolls like 50 positions down the list. A fixed 'scroll 10-20 items down no matter how long the list/page is' button would be great!

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:09:51 am »

It can help to set your zoom level so that frequently used categories are near the top/bottom of a screen.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:11:12 am »

I think there is a DFHack feature that does that, check the modding forums.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:46:28 am »

something like the search form the 'bring goods to trade depot' menu would be nice..

You could do your stockpile searches from your depot for now. As a bonus, I believe you can do so even if you haven't had time to put a bookkeeper to work.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:19:15 am »

You could do your stockpile searches from your depot for now. As a bonus, I believe you can do so even if you haven't had time to put a bookkeeper to work.

The move good function only seems to be available if there is a trader, so that doesn't really work...