Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emotes for Adventure Mode (and other ideas from thinking too much about it)  (Read 956 times)

GuardianTempest

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Daydreamer
    • View Profile

Emotes/Gestures
I thought about this when I was running away from a midnight brute, knowing I can never take it on despite endless savescums. What if you want to shriek in terror knowing you'd get flattened by a night beast? What if you want to do a manly flex (image belongs to shook) to intimidate your enemies and boost your companions' morale? What if you want to stare blankly into space as you accept your hilariously tragic fate? The interface can be accessed in the 'x' menu.

Intimidation and other stuff
Following the above, intimidating someone with a hiss, snarl or a massive RAEG FACE will make him less likely to make a successful attack and more likely to drop his weapon and flee. Making a funny hiface or loface would make him laugh, or at least confuse him long enough for you to land a free hit in with a chicken corpse. Making a cute face or something might persuade a shopkeeper to lower his standards for the next transaction.

Designed Masks and Helmets
Combo x3. So, making faces to every person you meet is very tiring and futile, why not just get a designed mask or helmet? Patterns will dictate whether or not the enemy will be startled by your permanent yellow rageface. Hypnotic masks will keep your opponent standing still while a masterwork lion cap (with the lion head intact) is going to drive the rest away.

It's 1:33 am, I need to go to sleep. See the feedback later in the day.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotes for Adventure Mode (and other ideas from thinking too much about it)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:37:13 pm »

Perhaps. I think the idea has merit. That way, you don't have to pull out a sword and lop off arms to show you mean business.
On the other hand:
The fluffy wambler glares murderously.
The weremonkey smiles hypnotically
The carp gazes adoringly
The dwarf stands trembling
while a goblin horde charges at him.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:55:46 pm »

There should definitely be ways to act more intimidating/harmless/confusing/tasty/trustworthy to enemies/allies. It should probably depend on the adventurer's social skills. I would rather it leave the actual face the adventurer makes up to my imagination though, and just says "you intimidate the kobold" or something.

NPC's should act like Revanchist said, that would add a lot of flavour to the game.
And an awesome helmet should help with the intimidating. That would be cool.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GuardianTempest

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Daydreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »

Wow, good to see some support. Anyways, agreed, NPC's doing that would make the immersion slightly better. Also:
'The Giant Sponge makes a mean face, Urist McFisherLegend cancels fish!'
More ideas
-Les-see, if you intimidate a foe hard enough, they will faint/go unconscious.
--Alternatively, if you do the same to a shopkeeper you might get the might of everyone alive in self-defense.

-When the game updates enough, you can use make-up and masquerade and such.
-It is possible to make a scrawny girl who can instill terror to anyone who dare defy her.

All these at least gives enough reason to put some points in 'useless' skills.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:26:30 pm by GuardianTempest »

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:02:39 pm »

-If you are wearing minimal clothing and a female, you will keep the enemy drooling at you until you smack them in the face with your weapon of choice.
I'm ignoring the ones I agree with, but what kind of dwarf are we talking about?
Take this example:
The elf stands seductively, in lingerie, with a coy smile.
The dwarf stares mesmerized.
Urist McTotallynotaDwarfbecausehethinkselvesareattractive is killed by a stab to the brain.

I'm pretty sure Toady wants to keep the game as open to all audiences as possible. This idea in particular would be somewhat unbalancing.

The rest of the ideas are good though, especially sufficiently terrifying PC's causing villagers to cower in fear because he exists.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:05 pm »

Make them procedural, please.

"The cave dragon yawns ruthlessly"

GuardianTempest

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Daydreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:28:53 pm »

Yeah I got carried away there. I just thought about feigning pain and death, or something else. About the procedural gestures (if it gets that far), I think the adverb has to be in line with the action so you don't end up with with something like "The Dwarf smiles sorrowfully."

I think my (sensible) ideas stockpile ran out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:33:21 pm by GuardianTempest »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:17:25 pm »

Sorrowful smiling can actually happen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GuardianTempest

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Daydreamer
    • View Profile

Bump, I want to see this implemented at some point in the near/far future.