Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have night creatures become less common since 0.34.04 or so?  (Read 1017 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have night creatures become less common since 0.34.04 or so?
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:06 pm »

Because I haven't seen a single vampire in my more recent fortresses, and can't seem to get any quests to kill werebeasts (I'd like to make some adventurers into WBs...FOR SCIENCE!!!) in adventurer mode where previously I'd see about a dozen WB kill missions in each village.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Have night creatures become less common since 0.34.04 or so?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:13 pm »

It's possible your world doesn't have vampires or were curses. Try generating a new world and see if the problem persists.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:56 pm »

That's not the problem. There are some of both, but no matter where I go they never seem to show up. This is a problem which has persisted across several worlds. I can never seem to catch an f'ing werebeast to perform science on in fortress mode. Though I suppose that might be because I ain't the best at microing and end up with about half my dorfs idling.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:22:05 am »

I can say I've had enough night creatures for a lifetime, or at least for a few forts.
My last fort was lost to a tantrum spiral caused by two werebeasts in quick succession, both of which managed to infect someone in the military (a wereotter and a werecoyote), while I was already dealing with finding the vampire that was somewhere roaming my fort.
Ironically, the vampire was instrumental in the slaying of both werebeasts... I should have noticed something strange about a Master Speardwarf, Dodger and Shield User (and Liar) in a fortress with barely any military training.

And the fort just before that had a vampire too.

How long are you letting the history gen run? I usually stop it at 120 years, or less, since on this crappy pc it takes 30-40 seconds to process from year 100 to year 101, and the few times I've let it run unattended up to 250, it crashed mid-way.
Young worlds might have more night creatures if they're slain by heroes during history.

Try also increasing the number of beasts in the worldgen parameters, I always gen worlds on "high" or more.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »

I use advanced worldgen and crank most of the relevant variables WAY up, so that's not it.
It was inevitable.

wobinich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:46 pm »

Try playing a civ that have towns and such, on a island separated from the mainland. In my last adventure i had a crazy amount of werebeasts and vampires to kill. Never seen so much before.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »

Fortress mode, not adventure mode.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.