Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of a phobia.  (Read 2109 times)

Dredonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of a phobia.
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »

I have a phobia of leeches. I think they are the creepiest, most disgusting creature on earth. But, this phobia has not allowed me to have experiences that would be amazing, and I am developing a fear of ponds, lakes, and streams because of it.

How do I get rid of this phobia?
Can I get rid of it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of a phobia.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:56 pm »

I only know one experiement for Phobia killing.

You take leeches and you put them as near to you as possible without you needing to leave.

Then you eat some delicious food.

Next time put them a bit closer... and closer... and closer. Until you can eat that delicious food with them on your lap

I don't think that will work >_<... but it at least is supposed to due to "possitive association"

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

I had this friend who was terrified of spiders. One time we (four teenage guys) were staying in a hotel room together. There was a spider in the
washroom, so we barricaded him in there until he killed it.

He is no longer scared of spiders. Interpret this however you want.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:20:46 pm »

From what I've disseminated from pop culture and the like, the first part of removing a phobia is realizing it's irrational. Realize you're being unnecessarily afraid. Once you realize the fear is stupid and overblown, you'll have an easier time overcoming it. It will still take effort to overcome, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:58 am »

I had this friend who was terrified of spiders. One time we (four teenage guys) were staying in a hotel room together. There was a spider in the
washroom, so we barricaded him in there until he killed it.

He is no longer scared of spiders. Interpret this however you want.

That's a great way to get rid of phobias. It seems like a little extreme but it cuts the phobia from it's root.

You have to force yourself to overcome your phobia.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:20:53 am »

Though such situations can fail pretty much absolutely by making it worse if you don't overcome it.

Gradual acclimatization coupled with positive association is, from what I understand, the best way.

In other words, go get yourself a pet leech. ^_^

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »

Gradual acclimatization coupled with positive association is, from what I understand, the best way.

In other words, go get yourself a pet leech. ^_^

Yup. You could also try watching some youtube vids of lakes and streams, working up to vids of actual leeches until you're not afraid, along with eating at least a pound of gummy worms. Mmm, gummy worms.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:19:31 pm »

You might never get rid of a phobia, but that's okay. If it's a significant problem in your life you could take steps to control the fear by .. what GlyphGryph said is the best answer I think. Or consult an actual psychologist who might be more educated in these things than random people who reply on a forum.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:42:49 pm »

Yeah... there's the risk of building /negative/ associations with whatever you're using to bypass the phobia, too.

So that's something to be careful of.

There are professional methodologies for dealing with the that should at least get you from "petrified" to "slightly bothered".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 04:40:53 pm »

If it makes you feel better, I once had like 8 leeches attached to my legs at a time.  I just pulled them off and it was fine.  So um, there is a small amount of proof that leeches are harmless.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »

By the way, leeches can be used for medical purposes too.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:36 pm »

From personal experience i'd say get in a situation where you are confronted with your fear and you have no way to escape, your only way being to deal with it. That's at least the way i did it (or had to do it...)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:02 pm »

I'd assume just follow the general phobia-ridding steps...

But I guess I just can't see the problem with being deathly afraid of bloodsucking aquatic parasites...

I have a phobia of insects, spiders, leeches... the works. As a general rule, if it's less than two inches long and lacks a backbone, I'll be afraid of it. Honestly, it hasn't affected me all that much. But anyway, that means you shouldn't take my advice, I guess.

[The two-inch figure is just an approximation; I'm not afraid of lobsters, crabs, etc.; possibly because I can see them and avoid them easily.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:41:53 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »

Strip down to the waist before walking out into a swamp. Locate thirteen bloated leeches and place then on a large flat stone. Recite a prayer to Chernobog before crushing the leeches with a sledge hammer. Trace the Laguz rune onto your chest with the blood of the leeches. Then go swim in peace, knowing that your blood sacrifice has given you mystical protection from your hated foe.