Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: howto very few underground layers?  (Read 580 times)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
howto very few underground layers?
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:10:26 am »

i want to make an overground city using underground only for getting stone and i need a very large area (more than the usual 4x4 embark) as i want to set up a large number of towers and defensive sheanigans for the fortress defense mod

since i wont go too much underground (even with regular fortress i find 90% of the underground unused) i wonder if there is a way to generate a world with VERY few layers (eg <20 levels including caverns) in ordere to have decent fps in late game in a big embark zone

specifying the minimum nuber of layers in advanced worldgen still gives every embark zone an average of 150 levels before hitting bottom,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: howto very few underground layers?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:27:10 am »

Increase the amount of zlvls of open space you've got above the surface in advanced parameters world gen. Someone here probably knows what it's exactly called, something around the lines of "Z lvls above layer x"

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:31:16 am »

I believe you want to cut out as many layers from x>2. Layers 1 and 2 deal with the first two strata of rock, which are caveless if I remember right. So increase those as desired. And you want to cut out z-layers above ground if you're not mega-projecting.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:48:41 am »

Generate a region rather than an island. Islands have a much higher number of z-levels.
Set cavern number lower. Two should be enough for anybody. One is still easily playable. There has to be at least one cavern layer for Dwarfs to be able to farm iirc.
Lower the number of levels between each cavern level.
Embark on an area that's close to water level, this is usually coastal areas and forests. Avoid mountains and volcanoes.

Doing this can get you extremely "thin" worlds. It's much less taxing on poor computers and it will be much easier to harvest magma.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:10:43 am »

If you turn off all caverns, minimize the gap between layers, turn off HFS and magma layers, you can literally have worlds where there is zero underground. You can only dig 1 layer down into soil, then.

Maximize the above-ground layers and you can build upwards to a max. of 100

You'd probably want to at least turn the magma sea on, though, so you can create obsidian for building.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:42:37 am »

i genned a world with 100 leveòls above ground and 1 cavern layer editing the smaller region preset and the underground still goes to 141 levels under (for a total of roughly 240 z levels)

i embarked right on the coast
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:53:05 am by luppolo »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:18:11 pm »

Flatten out the world while you are at it.