Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Explosives  (Read 1325 times)

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Explosives
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »

Is there anything that can cause a massive explosion?

I got the idea of catapulting barrels of burning alcohol at invaders but I found out that they don't explode as well as I hoped they would

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Explosives
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

Adamantine causes gigantic explosions when dropped, be sure to keep your dwarves safe because this stuff is DANGEROUS.

You'll need lots, though, so mine it all out before you start your (nuclear?) weapons program.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »

There's no explosive items, unfortunately. However, you can mode in a 'barrel' creature that excretes magma mist or something equally as nasty. I've got no idea how you'd do it, but I know it's possible.

Adamantine causes gigantic explosions when dropped, be sure to keep your dwarves safe because this stuff is DANGEROUS.

You'll need lots, though, so mine it all out before you start your (nuclear?) weapons program.

Adamantine only explodes if dropped on tiles with the [CAUSES_BOOM] tag, and there's a bug currently where some maps don't have that.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:53 pm »

The only thing I've seen explode is a forgotten beast made of flame after being spiked and broken in two.  Either the explosion or the beast's natural temperature melted the bronze spikes of the trap as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:12:09 pm »

Goblins explode very nicely when dropped fifty z-levels.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:25:16 am »

Make a support. Build a wall on top of that. Link the support to a lever. Pull.

=

Explosion.

RandolphCarter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:06 am »

Cats?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:36:41 am »

Masterwork adds Creepers, and they explode.

I haven't really gotten to !!Science!! it yet. I would love to weaponize them.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:01:13 pm »

The closest thing to explosives I can think of is creating a creature with an [UNDIRECTED_DUST] attack or something similar. (like in masterworks mines for an example). Perhaps make cats that explode when scared..
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:01:22 pm »

Hmm...
While launching catsplosions seems like a good idea I think I'll try something different.
For the Creepers, they don't seem to have an effective explosion from what I've tested in Arena Mode.
Gibs from falling Goblins do not seem effective weapons against invading armies. While disgusting, it won't hurt them unless a goblin lands directly on them.
Cave-ins are boring.

I'm curious about the undirected dust attack though, and how to direct it. Do cages in item form melt? By item form I mean when you can put them into stockpiles without having to build it. My idea is to use minecarts to propel a cage through a lava wall to melt a cage. When it has melted the animal would come out and explode, killing a group of enemies

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:14 pm »

I'm curious about the undirected dust attack though, and how to direct it.
[TRAILING_DUST_FLOW] is directed.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »

Oh, by direct it I mean have it at the right place at the right time. Wrong wording on my part

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »

Meh undirected dust is ok, but I prefer vapor attacks composed of materials that are normally solid at room temperature. Say for instance obsidian. That stuff is dangerous.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:00 pm »

Cave-ins are boring.

Swirly cloud of death would like to have a word with you...

Best part? This is when it's at its smallest. Not to mention with sufficient cover, you could send in Dwarves right before the dust clears - picking off the stunned and broken survivors.