Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 246 Kobolds, 1 Cave.  (Read 1918 times)

Rock Gobbler

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I now realize my username is a bad choice. :|
    • View Profile
246 Kobolds, 1 Cave.
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

See that? I sure as hell see that, and I'm kinda afraid. :T

I have no clue if this is a normal thing or if they usually start hostile. It is a first for me at the very least, and I know for a fact that friendly goblins in an embark site will turn hostile on the first ambush, so I dunno if they will just get a burst of kleptomania kicking and start a bloodbath as soon they steal something. So yeah, I guess answers regarding that grey area would be pretty sweet, but that isn't the main reason I am posting this thread.

Let's get down to business.

How would YOU weaponize these weird scaled puppies? I'm kinda thinking of making a kobo-pult, but I'm sure there is a Funner option out there that I am just not thinking of right now! Help me out here guys!
A vote for Bigfoot is a vote for a terrible president!

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 246 Kobolds, 1 Cave.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:57:43 pm »

For weaponizing, try to get them all into a room where you can drop your prisoners or invaders into. Dunno how they'd react to trolls and such, but I think they'd figure out something with all their knives :P

Was going to suggest stuff for entertainment, but they TRAP_AVOID so that went down the shitter :(

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:47 pm »

Couldn't you build cage traps all in their cave and cause a cavein? Does cavein shockwave still cause knockouts?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Gerottomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »

I would say this is a great opportunity to make a Kobold survival map (Kinda like zombie survival, but with Kobolds)

Other Ideas
Kobold Horde Arena, funnel Gobbos, Elves, Humans, into various sections and then release the Kobolds and watch them suffer.
Kobold Space Program?
If they are friendly, create a peaceful diverse fortress with Kobolds working along with Dwarves, perhaps see if you can edit some raws to make them useful.

I kind of expect a sort of Koboldish-Dwarfy FPS Death is inevitable here.
Oh god the pathing calculations...

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:08:18 pm »

Couldn't you build cage traps all in their cave and cause a cavein? Does cavein shockwave still cause knockouts?

Ah, that's true. It does, and I know firsthand from yesterday when my dwarves started channeling the wrong part of an overhang first  >:(

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:16:22 pm »

Seal off their cave if you want a Kobold nature reserve. Otherwise, the moment a hostile Kobold shows up - they will incur the wrath of Kobold loyalty cascade until one side or the other is completely annihilated. Hilarious, but extinction nonetheless. And for some reason no Kobolds = bad.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:25:36 pm »

This is how it works. I have a PhD in Kobold Socioeconomoanthrogeology so I know what I'm talking about.

Kobolds in cave: "Yay! We're in a cave! Look, seven beard buddies to be our friends! Hooray!!"
Kobold Outsider: "Gotta steal some socks"
Kobolds in cave: "Oh no! Bad kobold being mean to beard buddies! Must kill!"
Kobold Outsider: "arghblargblarg im gettin killded"
Kobolds in cave: "Yay!"
Kobold Outsider: *dying breath* "i am... the kobold... king... and beards... are... e... evil..."
Kobolds nearby: "What you say! Must avenge king! Must kill beards!"
Kobolds in cave: "Oh you so dead now"
Kobold who killed kobold loyalist: "Wait... I am... I'm... a... MURDERER!!"
Kobolds in cave: "MUST KILL"
*Lots of bloody civil war*
Last Two Kobolds: "What have we done? WHAT HAVE WE DONE?! I will be the last kobold standing!!"
*mutual kill*
Dwarves, staring at mountains of dead kobolds: "Huh."
My wooden badge was delicious.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:33:56 pm »

I dunno, build a fort for them to live in, and open the gates if you need siege backup?
I'm not sure if it would be safe to have them kill something ambushing a caravan, and getting them inside again could be tricky.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 07:49:36 pm »

An inevitable kobold loyalty cascade.

Seal off the entrance to stop the carnage before it is too late.

Also, good luck with the lagz.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »

I dunno, build a fort for them to live in, and open the gates if you need siege backup?
I'm not sure if it would be safe to have them kill something ambushing a caravan, and getting them inside again could be tricky.

I approve of this.

I typically let the kobolds break into civil war, and if the traitors win: simply mass exterminate the kobolds. If the loyalists win, I let them live in my fort.

Or I just drown them for lulz.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »

Try turning the cave into your fortresses entrance and seal all the entrances.
Just wait until the goblins ask you "You in what army?"
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 04:17:36 am »

Herd them into a danger room and breed super-kobolds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:05 am »

Dwarves, staring at mountains of dead kobolds: "Huh."
+Necromancer

=

Army of trap avoid zombies

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 04:50:12 am »

Do they breed?
If so, id magma them before they kill your fps honestly.

Or tunnel their cave to the surface and wait for the sieges.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 04:51:12 am »

Do they breed?
No, they're egg layers. Egg layers never breed unless tame and with a next box. So these Kobolds will never breed.