Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves wont rescue wounded soldier? (Bug?)  (Read 825 times)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves wont rescue wounded soldier? (Bug?)
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:49 am »

During my last siege, one of my axedwarves got a broken leg, and he's been laying in the field for quite a while now, to the point of starvation, but no dwarf would come to rescue him. I suspect he's not being able to generate a Recover Wounded task. Is there any workaround for such a thing?
I rather not lose him, almost my whole fort is somehow related to him.

The sad part is, even though his family left him to die on a gory field, his war dog companion remain by his side since the attack. That proves that dogs > dwarves.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves wont rescue wounded soldier? (Bug?)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »

I had this problem recently. I'm not sure what fixed it because I messed around with a few things all at once (soldier was dehydrated at that point so I didn't want to try one thing at a time), but I deactivated the squad and appointed a new squad leader / militia commander. The original one had died in the fight, and while soldiers will still respond to orders they don't seem quite right without a leader.

Edit: just a new squad leader appointed, the position of militia commander wasn't automatically filled when I filled the vacated squad leader position.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:36:27 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:02:13 pm »

Do you have a designated hospital zone with a bed in it?

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »

I've had the same thing happen several times.  The solution, as usual, is "fix it with dfhack and get back to the game."

rudhcairiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »

Do you have a burrow activated due to the siege, so no one can get outside?

Is everyone busy? Recover Wounded seems to be very low-priority so they'll run around hauling stuff before they retrieve their friend.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 03:37:26 pm »

Have a squad of 3-5 nurses ready, i.e. dwarves whose only labors are "recover wounded" and feed "patient/prisoner"
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »

One of the peasants just came and dragged him to the hospital. Don't know what fixed it though, I too messed with lots of things at the same time, reactivated Recover Wounded in almost my whole fortress, made a burrow with a healthcare-dedicated doctor that covered the Hospital and the wounded soldier area (the hospital has wells and everything he would need - didn't made a difference, Doctor would rather sit doing nothing then recover his relative).
Glad he didn't die, would probably set off a tantrum since the gobs killed a dumb mother and her baby in that same siege. Everyone was upset about it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

The sad part is, even though his family left him to die on a gory field, his war dog companion remain by his side since the attack. That proves that dogs > dwarves.
Pft, you don't see that dog do anything but mope around watching his master die. Bloody useless. At least Dwarves do something. After a while.

Btw your problem is that Dwarves only recover the wounded who are unconscious. If you're conscious, it's a Dwarven custom that you have to get to the hospital by yourself, to prove you actually need the healthcare. If you fail and pass out, someone'll drag you to the hospital and you'll be patched up. If you succeed, well you get given a crutch and told to bugger off.