Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rain, Rain, Go Away...  (Read 3545 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Rain, Rain, Go Away...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 02:42:20 am »

If you manage to pull it off, though, you will have a story to tell on these forums for quite a while.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 12:47:33 pm »

The new difficulty associated with evil regions is appreciated, but I would have liked it if we didn't have to bunker down to survive in them.  It just doesn't feel like I am conquering the land if I have to hide from it.
It's not your land to conquer. The land wants you gone, or dead.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 01:14:14 pm »

I love these fortresses. There are ways to survive especially if you're on the intersection of two biomes. It would be nice if disease resistance played a bigger role. A strong dwarf might just get dirty, a normal dwarf gets blisters on his skin, and a weak dwarf has those blisters spread to the organs.

I have a with the same syndrome rain but it also has a normal lake. I built a dock that the dwarves live on and when the water froze I dug down into the stone to build a proper fortress. When it rains normal rain the syndrome gets washed away so I have a brief window to scavenge the surface. If it was easy to conquer would it be worth conquering?

You have an aquifer so once you manage to breach you could pump water from it during a break in the rain, clean an area, then roof it in. Slowly expanding your dominion over the landscape.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »

Use clay and roof over the entire land then you will have beaten the WEATHER itself.

Do you have any hills that might let you get through the aquifer?

If not then thats, well its expected.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »

No hills, I don't think. Just got back from school, but I'll take a look.  Poor dwarves. I hope they survive to winter; Want to see if the weather changes anyway.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 05:04:30 pm »

The new difficulty associated with evil regions is appreciated, but I would have liked it if we didn't have to bunker down to survive in them.  It just doesn't feel like I am conquering the land if I have to hide from it.

You think you own whatever land you embark on...
You kill the legends and call it a golden age.
But I know every biome, civ and region,
Has a life, has a spirit, has a raaaaaaaage!

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

Some migrants have arrived! Hahahahahahahahaha!

You poor fucks.

Edit: Well, this is embarrassing. Not only did they made it.... They seem to.... Not have the disease.  Unfortunately, they seem to have told the miners that their friends from the expeditionary team are dead. One of them is miserable and throwing tantrums, the other is taking it in stride.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:21:00 pm by bdsorensen »

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, this was a Fun fort while it lasted. Which was about 2 seasons.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 08:05:34 pm »

You think you own whatever land you embark on...
You kill the legends and call it a golden age.
But I know every biome, civ and region,
Has a life, has a spirit, has a raaaaaaaage!
You are right, I should sing with all the colors of the raaaaaaaage!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 10:58:42 pm »

Looks like my current embark has a blinding rain biome.

The fort itself is on half-good half-neutral part of the map, but half of the map is evil. Any migrants might get in trouble.

I'm currently starting a production of glass or clay bricks to make a roof for the entire dead area. Can't have blind marksdrves...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 05:52:21 am »

You can turn off evil weathers in the custom map creation. The same way you can turn off those horrible bogeymen, which basically ruin my adventure experience on thier own. Spending 3 hours running back to town with a legendary warrior is boring as hell. Almost as bad as crossing mountain tops.

Adventure mode still needs to be tweaked for sure.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...
Pages: 1 [2]