Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod noob here.  (Read 927 times)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
Mod noob here.
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »

I would like to mod a bit, but i don't know the computer languege DF is written in.
Does anyone know?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod noob here.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:05:17 pm »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

Well, the game is in C++, but you wont see any code. The RAWs of the game are pretts much... unique? Quite easy to learn, just read the ones you have, look at some smaller mods, try to make a little things here or there yourself. And read the wiki on modding. It really, really helps.

@darvi: I would like to contradict that statement ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:06:57 pm »

DETAILS!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:11:09 pm »

DETAILS!
It is Programming, but super simpler. If it was actualprogramming, I wouldn't have a clue how it works. The RAWs are special to DF and are simple to understand.*

*(By simple I am speaking relatively. Still takes time to figure out what the hell you are doing. But its possible to do it on your own,)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:19:59 pm »

Details: Masterwork Mod includes Raw editing, Visual Basics 2006, C++, Python, font editing, pixelart, weird text formating, html and css. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »

That's not modding, that's ☼MODDING☼

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:58:54 am »

Details: Masterwork Mod includes Raw editing, Visual Basics 2006, C++, Python, font editing, pixelart, weird text formating, html and css. ;)

Most of that is out-of-game stuff. Only pixel arts, font editing, and weird text formatting actually affect in-game.

DETAILS!
It is Programming, but super simpler. If it was actualprogramming, I wouldn't have a clue how it works. The RAWs are special to DF and are simple to understand.*

*(By simple I am speaking relatively. Still takes time to figure out what the hell you are doing. But its possible to do it on your own,)

Nah. It's not really programming in any way. DFHack allows you to work with some of the in-game memory whosits in C++, Ruby and Lua, but AFAIK that's really it as far as actual modding of the game goes.