Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you think that with...  (Read 1089 times)

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
Do you think that with...
« on: October 20, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »

Do you think that with new games like Castle Story coming out Dwarf Fortress will become more popular? And if it does how do you think that will effect the community. On one hand I think a larger fan base is always good but at the same time I'm really hoping it doesn't dissolve how helpful and all around awesome everyone in the Dwarf Fortress community is.

Castle Story: http://www.sauropodstudio.com/

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think that with...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »

Well the good news is that it takes a very special form of dementia to really play DF, as well as quite a bit of maturity, so the community probably couldn't dissolve into a steaming pile of horse manure comparable to any other forum. It may become more popular, but only a small fraction of those who try will really get into it, and hopefully a much smaller number will actually bother to post on the forums, and they'll probably use halfway decent grammar. Probably. Hopefully.

Some people are actually put off by the forum, as if we're too creepy for them, so that's always good! :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »

Only way I'd see DF getting popular enough to get a whole bigger community is if Toady somehow manage to make MMODF.

And there ain't a chance!

DF takes a nut to play them, if only for displayed graphic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:37:27 pm »

Only way I'd see DF getting popular enough to get a whole bigger community is if Toady somehow manage to make MMODF.
The concept of an MMODF sounds intriguing. Would it be an Adventure Mode MMORPG or some sort of work-together/against fortress-building thing?
Or both? At once?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »

And every week the servers had to be reset because the players would already have broken the world, game, or both.

Scratch that. Three days, tops.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »

The concept of an MMODF sounds intriguing. Would it be an Adventure Mode MMORPG or some sort of work-together/against fortress-building thing?
Or both? At once?

I'd imagine it'd be a hybrid based around Adventure Mode, like, if you get rich enough or manage to hire enough people ( By either money, promises, fame or offering something to do) and some tool, you could camp somewhere and have semi-fortress mode. Or you could just manage to get elected/assassinate into a power position.

Then again, it'd be wee bit of a nightmare to stimulate the whole world, isn't it? It'd need development of parallel routines, at least enough that each world tile could be on a core. Not to mention constant rampage of demons from abandoned fortress being used as venthole to HFS

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:55:57 pm »

What if the players controlled individual dwarves who could band together and found new fortresses?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:35:51 pm »

What if the players controlled individual dwarves who could band together and found new fortresses?
Well, thing is on adventure mode timescale, fortresses are very boring.

I can imagine independant buisness ventures though. It'd be a lawless waste-land, paying people to collect stuff, and theres the threat of a random adventurer deciding he can take your shit.
Or both? At once?

I'd imagine it'd be a hybrid based around Adventure Mode, like, if you get rich enough or manage to hire enough people ( By either money, promises, fame or offering something to do) and some tool, you could camp somewhere and have semi-fortress mode. Or you could just manage to get elected/assassinate into a power position.

Then again, it'd be wee bit of a nightmare to stimulate the whole world, isn't it? It'd need development of parallel routines, at least enough that each world tile could be on a core. Not to mention constant rampage of demons from abandoned fortress being used as venthole to HFS
It sounds very computer intensive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 06:55:43 pm »

That game looks boss, but also base. I'm pretty sure they should all be going stark raving mad with their apparent lack of clothing.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!