Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Internet Friends.  (Read 4245 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Internet Friends.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »

Not optimism but observation. Though saying that after missing the t in your name makes me feel a little foolish.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:31:56 pm »

Not optimism but observation. Though saying that after missing the t in your name makes me feel a little foolish.

Hehe. It's a weird nickname anyway.

You see, I had this friend disappearing without a word thing for two times in the internet if I remember right. After that, I found myself not really believing in this internet friendship thing. There was a guy who I really liked as a buddy. We even talked for 7 consecutive hours once. Then out of nowhere, I had conservation with him which made me really sad for weeks. I was complaining about the people who I called popularity whores. The people who would do anything to make their name known to people. Short version is, I was like "Hey man I'm glad you are my friend. You should have seen these people in my school. They would do anything to increase their facebook friend list by a few thousands. They think stealing jokes from youtube and repeating hundred years old jokes will make them funny and cool. How cool they are, swearing at everything, playing the rebellious youth and shit. Hehe." To summerize he pretty much said this: "That's not a bad thing. Everybody is socializing. You should stop criticising the people around you for a minute and try to be like them. Stop the holier-than-thou attitude. You shouldn't just rely on me for friendship. You don't see me. You just see words. I'm not your real friend. You have to make real friends, man."

He wasn't finished, the real conservation took like half an hour. At the end I couldn't just take it anymore. I just started babbling shit like "U R MY FREND NO MOAR" and shut the computer down. Then I started crying... for about an hour. When I think about it now, it just makes me laugh about how naive I was.

A year after this, our ways crossed in the internet. The short story is, my girlfriend was friends with this sunovabeach and she wanted to be the peacemaker. I wanted her to stop doing this but she insisted anyway. I was waiting in fear about what this guy might say to my girlfriend. I was saying things like "hey you are talking to him now? what does he say? he is criticising and gossiping about me isn't he? DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES SWEETIE!"

Ahem, so she told him my side of the situtation. He contacted me, apologized. He said he didn't know I was heartbroken. He said he took offense about what I said because he thought I was talking about guys like him. He seemed genuine but I knew there was no way I was going to be able get past this and accept his apology. I was like "yea yea dude apology accepted let's do a hypothetical high five" while actually thinking "you can take your apology and shove it where sun doesn't shine you popularity whore dumbass bitch. YOU MADE ME FEEL LIKE AN ASOCIAL SHIT WHO HAS SUPERIORITY COMPLEX FOR DAYS! EVEN DUNG BEETLES DIDN'T WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH ME!"

That's the last time I talked to him. I took an oath to never trust someone again on the internet and... [enter melodramatic music here] Leatra was born...  Just kidding. I don't wanna steal the thread so I'll just say something to make this post advice-ish. Moral of the story is, internet friendships are a good thing and it's fun. Just don't overthink it and don't rely too much on them. Internet is full of unreliable people, like real life but people can become more unreliable on the internet. Do you want someone who you can rely on? YO MAMA. (No, really. They really care, guys)

For the record, I mean it when I say I would do anything and stuff like that. So... Don't look at me like that. Hey, I'm reliable!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:34:35 pm by Leatra »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »

Are you sure you didn't just get really angry at his advice because you didn't want to accept what he was saying? It was you who ditched him. You were friends, and because there was a part of him you didn't like, and some advice you didn't agree with, you hated him forever.

That isn't a problem with you trusting people, that's a problem with you getting along with people.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »

No it's nothing like that. I cut some of the insulting parts of the conservation. I don't really feel like telling how I got insulted for half an hour on the net. Some words can't be taken back. I couldn't really talk to him again without getting all emotional so I figured I might as well not talk to him anymore.

I mean, how would you feel when your best buddy says he isn't a friend of yours IRL?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:46:34 pm by Leatra »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 09:10:27 pm »

Dude, Jackrabbit isn't a friend of mine IRL.
Yet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »

Umm, what if someone IRL had done the same thing to you? Its not an internet thing but a life thing. Sometimes people just end up not liking eachother. I had a guy RL who I was friend with for a few years and all of the sudden we where worst enemies and I still don't really know what happened.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 05:44:48 am »

I still think these kind of stuff has a higher chance of happening on the internet.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 06:04:21 am »

Really? I've lost a hell of a lot more RL friends than Internet Friends. I've had people I spent months hanging out with suddenly ditch me over some bullshit nothing reason, whereas I've had people I've spoken to online for a grand total of about 20 minutes messaging me after weeks, without any particular reason, to chat and catch up, I've made a lot more long term friendships online than I ever have in real life.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 06:52:59 am »

Same thing happened to me with my internet friends. The thing is, in the internet you can't see people. You just see words. That's why internet is more unreliable. If you started hanging out with all your internet friends all of a sudden, you may lose them too. IRL, the friendship can be tested easily. That's why RL friendships are much more difficult to build but if you manage to build a good and healthy friendship it lasts longer. Internet friendships are easy to build but are more fragile.

I don't think you percieve RL friendship with the way I do. I spent at least 4-5 years with my best friends (and around 12 years with my bestest friend) but you say you got ditched by people who you spent months with. Yeah, I did get ditched like that too but I didn't consider them as good friends. Good friendships are built by hardships and by time. You have to know what RL friendship is to understand what I'm talking about and that's not something I can put into words.
Pages: 1 [2]