Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The ongoing story of FondledHatchets  (Read 1196 times)

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The ongoing story of FondledHatchets
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:09:58 pm »

And so, the story of FondledHatchets begins!
I have arrived! After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, my harsh trek has finally ended. My party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Eshimendok Kovest. There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labour comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, I must provide for my dwarves. I am expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs us, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the dingoes get hungry. A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Gatizkadol, "FondledHatchets". Let us strike the earth!
Kat: "Melee dwarves, station here around this corner and wait for the Marksdwarves to arrive before engaging the GCS."
Urist McSwordsdwarf: "Fuck this shit, LEEEEEROOOOOYYYY nnnJEEEEENNNKIIIIINSSS"
Needless to say Urist gets webbed and bitten, then asphyxiates as his lungs shut down while his comrades perforate the GCS.

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The ongoing story of FondledHatchets
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »

A ghost has died of dehydration somehow: "Datan Olondodok, Ghostly Cheesemaker, has been found dead, dehydrated." I was not aware that ghosts required drink.
Kat: "Melee dwarves, station here around this corner and wait for the Marksdwarves to arrive before engaging the GCS."
Needless to say Urist gets webbed and bitten, then asphyxiates as his lungs shut down while his comrades perforate the GCS.

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:50:29 pm »

Nothing much exciting has happened so far. I have constructed/reclaimed a kitchen, smelter, still, butcher's shop, wood furnace, carpenter's workshop, and mason's workshop, and made progress on the construction of my tower. I have, however, also discovered a rich vein of gold as well as hematite, so I should be provided with a good income if I manage to survive until the traders arrive.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

Im Interested :D! Great job so far! ;D
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:34 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0

Also how did you get a ghost that early?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:27 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0

Also how did you get a ghost that early?

I reclaimed a previous fortress that died.
In other news, several of my dwarves have died of thirst as a result of my neglecting to build a well or manufacture enough booze ahead of time.
I might need some help with my next try at this fortress if the current try crumbles to an end.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:27:53 am by SiliconBeard »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »

Have you tried directing a river into your fort? That usually helps. Drown your Dwarves.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

Have you tried directing a river into your fort? That usually helps. Drown your Dwarves.

Hey, be honest with him!  Lava work much better.

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:22:34 pm »

Okay. The bodies of the dwarves that died of thirst are just sitting around my fort generating miasma because none of the other dwarves can be bothered to move their bodies to the corpse stockpile outside. Also, I can't remember how to trade and I don't have a dwarf with the necessary skills to be a bookkeeper.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:33:03 pm »

Oh, just assign any dwarf to be book keeper.  They'll get skilled soon enough.

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:40:37 pm »

Some elven traders have arrived at my depot. I was thinking of causing them to be unwilling to trade with me, then deconstructing the depot so that I can steal all of their items. Is this a good idea, a bad idea, or a dwarven idea?
EDIT: Never mind, they left before my lazy-ass broker got to the depot.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:45:37 pm by SiliconBeard »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:52:53 am »

Some elven traders have arrived at my depot. I was thinking of causing them to be unwilling to trade with me, then deconstructing the depot so that I can steal all of their items. Is this a good idea, a bad idea, or a dwarven idea?
EDIT: Never mind, they left before my lazy-ass broker got to the depot.

You can just wall them in and watch them starve. "Yeah I could mine down that wall for you, unfortunately my pick was made using wood. Luckily for you, your culture thinks cannibalism is alright."
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:00:51 am »

Fondled Hatchets is an awesome name btw.

I believe the ghost who died by dehydratation was simply the ghost's body that had finally been discovered, after the ghost had already risen. I had the same thing happen to me with a dwarven child.

Hey, what's the ghost composition of your fort right now? How many restless, murderous, sadistic, forlorn, angry and violent?