Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop Activity In Given Area?  (Read 781 times)

RyuuTheWuffs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stop Activity In Given Area?
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:48:01 am »

I'm fairly new to the Dwarf Fortress mode, mostly been playing Adventurer since I'm more used to RPGs. Deciding to give it another shot (and after losing 3 fortresses) I finally got my first water reservoir semi-working, but I ran into an issue. My dwarves keep going into the reservoir to gather the rocks from inside, and knowing my luck some of them are going to end up getting stranded and drowning.
Thankfully they were able to gather them all before it became too deep, but I would like to know how to set a zone of non-activity. Or at least, deny a certain activity in an area. Is there any way to do this?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Stop Activity In Given Area?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:26:42 am »

d/b/f will allow you to drag a selection box over an area to forbid all items and buildings within it. It'll prevent your dwarves from using said buildings or picking up any forbidden items.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

RyuuTheWuffs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:53:26 am »

Thank you very much!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:51:37 am »

Forbidding items (as mentioned) will remove the need for dwarves to go into that area unless they are using it as a path to get somewhere else.

Once you start defining burrows you can simply put areas outside of the burrows, or set the burrow to be off-limits to the dwarves in general.  There are some caveats:
1. Dwarves will cross non-burrow space to get to another valid burrow.
2. Active Military will ignore burrow restrictions
3. Children will violate burrow restrictions when following parents around
4. Wheelbarrows entering a non-burrow tile will get "stuck" and abandoned

One other solution is to put in doors and hatches and lock them (Q command) to forbid dwarves to use the door and prevent them from getting to that location in the first place.  Issue with this is message spam as the dwarves complain that they cannot get to the item to haul it.  (Happens when using burrows as well.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:34:03 am »

*snip*
One other solution is to put in doors and hatches and lock them (Q command) to forbid dwarves to use the door and prevent them from getting to that location in the first place.  Issue with this is message spam as the dwarves complain that they cannot get to the item to haul it.  (Happens when using burrows as well.)

If you use raising bridges to seal off the area the dwarves can't path to the objects and the hauling jobs don't get generated. This fixes the message spam.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:51 pm »

I've been using Traffic patterns, and Doors, more and more, to control them.  Specially doors on egg nest boxes.  A doors a good way to raise chicks without them eating the eggs.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.