Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Merchants  (Read 1725 times)

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Merchants
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »

I just got a Human Merchant caravan, then not even 10 seconds later, a goblin ambush. The humans lost a wagon and then their warriors killed the ambushers. They left shortly after.

I am worried they won't return because of the unfortunate events. Will they come back?

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Merchants
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:08:35 pm »

Most likely yes.  Merchants can usually lose several whole caravans before they'll get really pissed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »

They will come back. Unless this has happened before (and it doesn't sound like it), they'll come back. If they don't they'll send a siege over. But that takes more then a single lost caravan.

Besides, the humans require more then a single wagon dead. You can go several entire caravans gone before the humans decide to punish you. They understand that there are dangers that can happen, but if it happens consistently, they'll get upset that your not doing your best to keep them safe. If they do ever send a siege though, a diplomat will be on his merry way to make a deal afterwards.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:14:56 pm »

Most likely yes.  Merchants can usually lose several whole caravans before they'll get really pissed.
They will come back. Unless this has happened before (and it doesn't sound like it), they'll come back. If they don't they'll send a siege over. But that takes more then a single lost caravan.

Besides, the humans require more then a single wagon dead. You can go several entire caravans gone before the humans decide to punish you. They understand that there are dangers that can happen, but if it happens consistently, they'll get upset that your not doing your best to keep them safe. If they do ever send a siege though, a diplomat will be on his merry way to make a deal afterwards.

Thanks guys. I was really worried there.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »

Thanks guys. I was really worried there.
Yeah, humans are pretty friendly. Though they get upset if their diplomat dies. Very upset. Sometimes enough to send a siege over.

No civ just stops sending over caravans. They either keep going forever (like with the dwarves), or siege (like the elves and humans).

Though, the next caravan may be smaller. But not by much.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:42 pm »

And if you sweeten the deal with ample tribute with the next caravan, it will work wonders to improve thier mood.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 01:51:17 am »

I had a human diplomat walk into a goblin ambush and get killed.

Next summer instead of a caravan a single human squad laid "siege" to the fortress.  ("Siege" since a single squad camping out is sorta laughable.  A sortie by the military crushed it.)

The summer after that a human caravan trade arrived and a diplomat asking to make peace turned up.  After letting him cool his heels for a while in a locked in corridor the diplomat met the mayor and was refused peace.

The next summer two human squads came to lay siege.  Pretty wimpy compared to the goblins since they sat around for a bit and then retreated once they came under crossbow fire for a while from a nearby bunker.  At least with the goblins you know there will be blood barring a lucky initial hit on their leader.

I half expect this summer to be the trade caravan and another diplomat.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 04:35:58 am »

I accidentally created a waterfall of death.
For the past 3 years merchants have been arriving and every single caravan except 1 has fallen to its death by crossing at the most treacherous point.
The whole caravan including the goods, falls down the waterfall 5 z's into my main hall!
I get to keep all the stuff, but it doe's leave a mess.
A dwarf diplomat arrived for some reason, but he also fell to his death, so not quite sure what he wanted, still.. I haven't gone to war with anyone, yet..

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:48:36 am »

You can just build a bridge over the waterfalls.

While its cool to make water flow around your fort, it really destroys your fps so I dont really recommend it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:47 am »

the bridge work always get's suspended, though I'm not sure why!

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:37:09 am »

Besides, I want all the goods!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:44:18 am by Lee72 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:12:46 am »

If they do ever send a siege though, a diplomat will be on his merry way to make a deal afterwards.
Who will be assassinated by a "goblin ambush"*, starting the whole war over again.

*In the form of goblins released from cages in the vicinity of the diplomat. Note that it might be a good idea to kill off the diplomat if you're interested in continuing the war, since human siegers trapavoid any traps the diplomat has seen.
Besides, I want all the goods!
You could just sieze the goods from the depot...
They won't resist that, even if their guards could easily slaughter everyone in your fort.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.