Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.  (Read 3488 times)

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »

The enteire problem is how un-accurate arrows are. We are probobly wasting time on how well they penetrate, we will probobly never know.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 12:52:36 am »

The enteire problem is how un-accurate arrows are. We are probobly wasting time on how well they penetrate, we will probobly never know.
Arrows are fairly accurate. Combined with the fact that combat happened mostly in close formations, and that they used  massive volley's, it's rather hard to miss. A trained lomgbow archer can pincushion you from pretty far away.

A mistake people here are making is that all bows will be longbows, which isn't the case. Longbows required many years of training and are made off specially treated wood(I believe it was Yew). In such away that the English switched to guns for 2 reasons.
1. Guns don't require training. (I mean, they are enormously inaccurate.)
2. They ran out of trees

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »

Bows have a slight downside, specifically they tend to leave you defenseless against a guy on a horse swinging a sword if he reaches you. Also, those mostly-longbow armies tended to consist primarily of trained peasants.

Not to mention that your argument is empirically fallacious. After all, since modern armies don't consist 100% of nuclear missiles, by your logic they must not be able to efficiently destroy pretty much anything. They can; it's just that they have downsides. Nukes have fallout, of nuclear and political varieties, and weakness on the defensive; longbowmen tended to require good numbers to hit anything much at longer ranges and tended to die at shorter ranges, and accuracy suffered if they wore armor, so one of those range problems would become potentially crippling no matter what you gave them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 05:21:41 pm »

Do the hard-core re-enactors shoot each other with bows whilst in armor?
Yes we do.

how much brain damage have they suffered?
Surprisingly little. (our insurance is on par with Badminton)

Asking them about accuracy would be useful, though.
I am not personally an Archer, I'm one of the Armored fighters getting shot with arrows.

The Society for Creative Anachronism is full of people who, at the very least could lend an experienced educated guess at answering some of these questions. I don't necessarily consider myself the best person for conducting this research, but I will try to construct a question list from this thread to take with me to ask next time I go out.

(more info in spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »

Do the hard-core re-enactors shoot each other with bows whilst in armor?
Yes we do.

how much brain damage have they suffered?
Surprisingly little. (our insurance is on par with Badminton)
I'm surprised...

I am not personally an Archer, I'm one of the Armored fighters getting shot with arrows.
How often do you get hit?

I know someone in the SCA, I'll see if  she knows anything.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 06:41:39 pm »

First:
This is a quick list of what i've pulled from this thread as to the questions needing details.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I personally haven't played with arrows in game enough to be familiar with them to know.
Are they always lethal, or is it only after enough skill ranks are acquired?
same for rate of fire,
and i guess range would be constant.

I'm surprised...

How often do you get hit?

I know someone in the SCA, I'll see if  she knows anything.
By the rules we play for simplicity any arrow hit is considered to take the offending limb; body and head shots are fatal.  Because of the armor and them being blunted it is just easier.  I've been shot a fair amount, one particular war weekend. 3 times by the same archer, in exactly the same spot.

He managed to hit me just under my colar bone in the gap between breastplate and shoulder/arm. Say 2" wide with my arm raised. I'd estimate range at ~30m+ through a crowd of ally & hostile fighters.  :D
Made nice work of my arm. After the fight I showed him. and he replied "I have a knack for finding exposed flesh on the field"

I have also seen Him continue firing arrows while preforming some matrix style dodges. Accuracy takes a hit for that, but your oponent also tends to stop moving to say "Woah"  ;)

Pages: 1 2 [3]