Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Website news posts suggestion  (Read 566 times)

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Website news posts suggestion
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:25:15 am »

I typically take fairly long breaks between my dwarf fortress cravings and due to that, don't keep up with updates and news.

Almost every time I come back and start reading the news, I have NO IDEA what it's actually talking about (apart from the obvious features mentioned in that one post) and usually have to read through the last 10+ posts to figure out what's actually going on and what's being changed.

I just have a simple suggestion to add, if possible, a small text button next to the title of the post that says what kind of changes these are or for what mode (ex: new mechanics - fortress mode, or just fortress mode/adventure mode).

It's not a huge deal, just a small personal annoyance for me. At first I thought the running and climbing was for fortress mode until I read several more posts below it to find out it's actually adventure mode changes (I think).

For people who keep up with updates and news day to day this is probably not an issue, and heck maybe I'm in a minority, I just know it's confusing when I come back from a break from DF. Being able to see at a quick glance what specifically the post is referring to or talking about would be great.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Website news posts suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:47 am »

I'm pretty sure running and climbing ae going to end up in both modes.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Website news posts suggestion
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »

I guess it doesn't actually solve the problem you're talking about, but if you follow any other RSS feeds already, the DF update feed (linky) will give you a paragraph each day about what he's working on. It's short enough that it doesn't take much time out of your day but it helps a lot with remembering what's going on in each update.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession