Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stupid Idea: Tattoo Armor  (Read 6518 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Idea: Tattoo Armor
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 05:10:12 pm »

Couldn't you use them as weapons instead? Planescape: Torment did have a tatoo that attacked your enemies at the same time you did.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:21 pm »

I could make a tattoo-shop that is somewhat magical and transformes dwarves into a dwarf with ONE tattoo. He would get one specific effect, lets say: bigger viewrange, or no pain, or no sleep, or one type of magic attack. Yes. But these dwarves can no longer be transformed into anything else, which would conflict with my actual mages and golems I have in the mod, as well as with my caste system.

Actually, now that I think of it, the caste system will be no problem, but golems and mages would still be a no-go for tattoed dwarves, which does not really make sense. Only solution is to make it a temporary tattoo that fades after a certain time, and they transform back into their former, un-tattoed self. Again, doesnt make much sense.

I really like the idea though, anyone has good suggestions on it ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 06:31:38 pm »

The tatoo fading over time could be explained by the magic in them being temporary, and that it interferes with other kinds of magic.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »

If golems and mages are also caused by interactions, couldn't you make them not target tattoo'd?
Or if that's what you didn't like, have them possibly remove the effects of the tattoo in place?
How do your mages and golems work, is what I'm trying to ask.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 01:41:45 am »

Both work by transformation. Transforming an already transformed dwarf is impossible. I cant make "Normal Dwarf => Transform => Tattoed Dwarf => Transform => Mage" so the only solution is not using transformations for tattooes (only way I see is transformation though), OR saying that tattooed dwarves cant be made mages/golems, OR saying Tattoes are temporary.

I am currently thinking about something like a tattoo & runeshop, "this dwarf has been tattoed/marked with a rune of protection/healing/whatever"
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 01:56:42 am »

This sounds...amazing, to be honest.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 02:01:28 am »

Well, once I figure out how to balance it, and what to write... guess it will work. Suggestions are of course welcome ;)

I thought about: Extract metal strand (all kinds of metals) and then use metal thread to make runes. I kind of have that in the game already, more or less. Then use runes as reagents that get used up, and one reagent that is preserved (a book of runes/tattoes that you have to buy/find/trade for) in a workshop. Of course there is the old problem with boiling stones not working 100%, but other then that I know how to do it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »

Huh. I'd have just done it with dyes and use the dying job to make them. Make them clothing and they'd rot, a lot like henna tattoos

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 06:10:17 pm »

clothing cant give syndromes, interactions or transformations. has to be a boiling stone (dwarf being tattoed with a chance of failure) or a drink/meal, which makes no sense.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »

couldn't you make a new material with an effect that only works on contact?
Then you could make it so only tattoos can be made from it, so a vitality ink would only help a dwarf who is actively touching it, such as wearing it, and the effect would very quickly wear off, in case of removal
The Derail Thread

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 04:38:32 am »

No, doesnt work like that. syndromes on contact only work with liquids.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »

ah, oh well.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]