Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help the Noob  (Read 2361 times)

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help the Noob
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 11:30:09 pm »

In terms of cage traps (and traps in general), the important thing is positioning.  Goblins and other invaders take the shortest path in to your fortress.  That means they hug corners.  So, put traps in the inside corner wherever your entry hall makes a turn.  They will also tend to hug walls, so trap those more heavily.  But in general, traps are so cheap, it just makes sense to spam the heck out of them.  Just fill the hallway with 200 cage traps and you'll have more prisoners than you know what to do with. 

Another technique is to have a wide hallway, let's say 10 wide.  Put traps in the hallway such that there is a winding path through the traps to get through the hallway.  The gobs will walk in a straight line and trigger the traps, while wagons will go the zig-zag way and get through.

|^...^^^^^^|
|^........^|
|^........^|
|^........^|
|^^^^^^...^|
|^........^|
|^........^|
|^........^|
|^...^^^^^^|

"^" are traps.  "." are untrapped.  The wagons will follow the 3-wide path (marked in green), as that's the only way for them to get through, while goblins will walk right over the traps.  Notice I left the edges trapped.  That's because, as I said, gobs like to hug corners and walls. 

Another quirk of goblin behaviour is that they follow the squad leader.  So, if the squad leader gets caged, they will hang around the cage wondering what to do.  And if the squad leader gets killed (or sufficiently injured), they will flee. 

As usual, the wiki has a lot more information about it. 

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:21 am »

It's all about chokepoints, and access-control.  One fortress, one entrance.   One loooong entrance.  Say you've got a straight, 3-wide corridor, just cram it with 3x8 traps.  Problem solved.

This will block caravans, but that can be gotten around  by making a detour along the entry-shaft.  Imagine the shape of the letter P.  Goblins will just go in a straight line, but the caravan will take the detour around the traps.  If it's a long detour, the chances of the goblins exploring the detour route are minimal.  And even then, just put some drawbridges at the joints so you can seal it up in a pinch.

In my current fort, I had no military when my first full siege arrived.  It was pretty big.  I had a system of sequential drawbridges so I could open and close segments.  Gobs would charge in, I'd slam the door shut after a handful crossed the threshold.  They'd get trapped.   I'd keep the doors shut while I re-set the traps, then open the door again for the next batch.  Lather rinse repeat. 

I've got about 80 Goblins, thieves, Cave Dragons, and Giant Rats waiting atop my arena.  Waiting for me to figure out how best to train them, because I'm surely doing it wrong.  =(  I guess I should just make a bunch of pairs.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:04 am »

I've got about 80 Goblins, thieves, Cave Dragons, and Giant Rats waiting atop my arena.  Waiting for me to figure out how best to train them, because I'm surely doing it wrong.  =(  I guess I should just make a bunch of pairs.
I've heard good things about bashing naked goblins with training weapons, the problem is getting to ~proficient as i swear they don't spar till at least one of the group gets to that level (my dabbling swordsdwarves refuse to spar and instead teach each other how to not dodge as they both fail at doing so).

Will post results :P
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:33 pm »

Yeah that's what I'm experiencing, in regards to the slow uptake on training.

This time around, I decided that I wanted to make a cadre of elite drill sergeants who would each lead about 4 un-skilled idiots, and train them efficiently.  Which seems solid, except I added a lethal rider to this idea....  I wanted them to be good at wrestling.

So at first I just made a squad of 10 leather-clad, unarmed guys.  They're sitting in a special-made barracks-castle that mounts my entry way, with a relatively efficient and encompassing design.  But the problem is that none of them have any wrestling experience, and they so they kill time either by performing unfruitful demonstrations or individual drills.

In an attempt to break that cycle, I've started dropping trapped monkeys on top of them in the arena.  Huge boost on striking, some wrestling.  Unfortunately a few of the soldiers' kids followed them into the arena, and so the monkeys ate them before getting brained by the soldiers.  Very sad and cruel, but on the upside hopefully they'll end up well-hardened down the road. 
If they don't cause a lethal tantrum spiral while they mourn.

Today I'm gonna try breaking the wrestlers into 5 squads of two in order to see if they'll go right to sparring.  I didn't want to do that at first because it meant more micromanagement, but oh well.

It really bothers me that this game's military & training system is so arcane and finicky.  All the other little idiosynchrasies are charming, and grow on you, or at least can be gotten used to.  But the military system... Ugh.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »

I don't reccomend having the actual creature itself running out and about. That's just asking for trouble!

Try tying it to a chain or a rope. It will fight back still, but it won't lash out at nearby civilians. It's kind of funny when kids organize parties around Borish MacGoblin, until he gets mauled by Urist McTrainee.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 09:00:44 am »

Hello!

Just thought I would post a heads up. The strategy using only two incredibly well trained soldiers works like a charm. I currently have a pair of Dwarves who are both Legendary Fighters and Legendary in their chosen art, a spear and sword. Ironically, they are also lovers, so I decided to name them Romeo and Juliet. Between the two of them, I have not seen a single threat that they couldn't handle. Every goblin wave that has attacked was wiped out by their combined skill, although they do have a penchant for dodging off bridges. Luckily, there is a shore convieniantly close by so these falls are not fatal.

Also, even if their is a large threat, my defense is delightfully two folded. First, there is the main bridge. If they cross that, they will end having to fight a giant tame copperhead snake.  Should they survive, they must walk down a corridor of cage traps. If they still aren't dead or caged, I trust Romeo and Juliet to kill them in true Shakespearean style, and I shall convert their skulls into something pretty.

My fortress is secure enough that my only threats right now is internal tantrum spirals. I have so many freaking peasants it's not good. All they do is socialize, so if one dies I'm in a bit of trouble. Heavens help me if two die. Then they constantly whine for more wells despite having three. Grr... I wish I could just kill them all and be done with it!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 [2]