Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More abudant iron.  (Read 2036 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: More abudant iron.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 11:50:09 am »

I believe both masterwork and Genesis have reworked metalworking. Masterwork has the additionall bonus that you can turn parts of the mod of at will.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 07:36:10 am »

What about bar quality? Or even waste? If your furnace workers aren't too good, or the furnace itself is low quality, you would get bad bars, which make bad weapons.  Softer metals would be easier to make high quality.  Steel would require skilled workers and high quality furnaces, or it ends up being worse than iron.  Of course that makes material calculations more complicated...

As it stands now, building quality does very little, and worker quality generally only influences speed for intermediate items like bars.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:41 am »

Thats not true. Better quality weapons do better in combat. The skill of the dorf, affects speed and created quality.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:18 pm »

Thats not true. Better quality weapons do better in combat. The skill of the dorf, affects speed and created quality.
There's no such things as a Low quality or a masterwork iron bar.

But yeah, it would be hard to calculate the material properties.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »

Right, exactly like ebbor said, although there is such a thing as weapon quality, as mrwiggles said, there is no such thing as bar quality.

So what i'm saying is you could have a masterwork sword of low quality iron.  So higher chance to hit and all that, but bad chance at getting through armor, due to lower density or more brittleness.

I think it would add a lot, that way even if you embark with coal, flux, and iron on your first z level, without good smelters, you're gonna get crap steel.

Because this game just isn't complicated enough :P

Troopperi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:44:03 pm »

Yeah, I like this idea. Because trading iron is not so efficient or nice for my opinion, it should be more easily available. Also the furnace suggestions sound like good.

What about getting limonite from the bottom of lakes and ponds? I don't know about usage of this way in other parts of world but in Finland (and maybe other northern countries)  they did do it (I'm a finn too).
I was going to change the name of battle axe to Dane axe but the I realized that there are no Danish in DF.
Pages: 1 [2]