Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Need empty barrel" message when try to make Dyer's shop despite having one  (Read 1410 times)

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile

I tried to build a Dyer's shop. I have an empty barrel in a nearby stockpile but I still get the message. I have an empty bucket in another stockpile.

What am I doing wrong?
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Is the barrel forbidden or filled?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you have exactly 1 empty barrel and that barrel happens to be the only empty barrel in a food stockpile, then it can't be used for anything else. If it's in a furniture stockpile, perhaps it's already "claimed" by a dwarf who is going to shortly take it to a food stockpile.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does it need a metal barrel like a lye shop?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile

Thank you all for your advice. I fixed the problem. I have another question. This is the last one. My manager won't do crap even when I have given them an office and everything. Do I need to add a door to their room?
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Ari Lazarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By do crap I assume you mean handle job orders. What is your manager doing when you issue jobs ?
Modest Bodies - Fixes joints for all creatures.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile

I'll just say that 'a meager office' can mean even 'just a single chair somewhere on a corridor, forming its own 1x1 room'. If you assigned the office correctly, it should work.

I don't know how do managers work, I'm just saying this.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Press j, then m to get into the manager menu.

Assign new orders with q

.???.

Profit

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think buckets need to not have liquid in them, which can be anything from just a coating from rain or such which renders them undry.

For the manager, I usually have one of my farmers doing it, because if their too busy doing a job such as crafting mugs, chopping trees and jobs that seem to take up their entire waking life they won't find time to do managing duties.

3x3 room, with bed, table and throne set as room and to the manager. (I also have this manager usually my book keeper too, and as a farmer ive not had him too busy that he couldn't do all the above).

But its like having your expedition leader as your stonecrafter (making mugs or rock crafts). The liason leader will just stand near him forever and they won't ever have the conversation).

J, M gets the manager task on. But they won't manage if their too busy doing certain jobs. You can later on make a hauler it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

My manager won't do crap even when I have given them an office and everything.
Managing work orders seems to be a low priority job. Check in the nobles screen that the manager has an office ([REQUIREMENT] should be coloured white) and then make a burrow that covers the office and assign the manager to it. With no other jobs at all to do, they can't twiddle their thumbs for too long. You could also lock the manager in with their office, but burrows are less lethal if you forgot you left the dwarf there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.