Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creatures thrown into magma?  (Read 558 times)

Nooooooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creatures thrown into magma?
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:00:48 am »

I am working on a megaproject where I am casting obsidian for a huge area and got the great idea of throwing all my cats into the pit before I filled it with magma to increase my fps (a lone dwarf had adopted unnatural amounts of them). Nothing seemed off after I had thrown them in and killed them, but a decade later when I finally finished this multi z-lvl cast and started digging around in it, I found the remains of the cats intact in the obsidian, leaving said dwarf miserable.

I was just wondering wether there are some physics here that I'm misunderstanding or not as I thought that throwing creatures into magma would perminantly destroy the remains?

I generally filled the cast with 2/7 to 3/7 magma before I started pumping water into it and repeated on the next level and there wasn't much time used as the multi z-lvl cast had already been constructed. Also, this cast was in the middle of the ocean through 2 aquifers and some way down into the oceanfloor. I've found some gold nuggets at the bottom of the cast as well, where the cat remains were found, even though it's not listed as magma safe.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures thrown into magma?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:04:29 am »

Maybe you have temperature off? I'm not sure if that prevents obsidian formation...
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Nooooooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:40 am »

Temperature is on (checked). They wouldn't have died in the magma if it weren't so right?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:46 am »

Same thing happens with an obsidianizing trap - goblins trapped within will be discovered, metal gear and all - encased in the obsidian. Just a natural occurrence.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:12 am »

Temperature is on (checked). They wouldn't have died in the magma if it weren't so right?
Ah, I thought you might have chucked them in first and they died of fall damage.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Nooooooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:04 am »

Ah, I thought you might have chucked them in first and they died of fall damage.
Nah, just designated a pasture there and placed them all there before I pumped magma into the cast. I guess I should review my wording a bit, lol.

Same thing happens with an obsidianizing trap - goblins trapped within will be discovered, metal gear and all - encased in the obsidian. Just a natural occurrence.
Ah, I didn't know that. I must admit this is one of my first magma based megaprojects :P
Thanks for the tip.