Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Triplets  (Read 2505 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Triplets
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:06 am »

So I just got triplets, cant remember ever getting it before.

How rare is it? And how are the dwarves carrying the babies? All three at the same time? One in each hand and one on the head?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
Re: Triplets
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:13:43 am »

I got twins last night for the first time. I wonder how many they can have at once? OctoDwarfMom possible?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:10 am »

If you can mod this, then you can have on dwarf couple populate an entire fortress at once.  Maybe. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:44:21 am »

Dwarves have the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE token, so twins and triplets are very rare, but possible.  Not sure on the exact percentages, though, nor how many babies exactly this restricts them to.

If you can mod this, then you can have on dwarf couple populate an entire fortress at once.  Maybe. 
This is fairly easy, just remove the above tag from dwarves and they'll have twins and triplets a lot more often.  Alternatively, remove the tag and add LITTERSIZE:X:Y in its place, where X is the minimum number of kids per birth and Y is the max, so LITTERSIZE:5:10 dwarves would give birth to 5-10 babies at a time, in theory.  I haven't actually used LITERSIZE in a while, so I'm not sure if its working.

No, I don't know how they hold them, either.  I'm guessing they're magically magnetized and stick to the mother's body.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:00:17 am »

I got twins last night for the first time. I wonder how many they can have at once? OctoDwarfMom possible?

Triplets are the largest I've ever read anyone have, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toady tried to model reality here.  I believe that in reality twins happen about 1 per 300 or so births.  Triplets are approximately 1/300th as common again, which supposedly continues on for higher numbers.  So the game could just be rolling the dice until it stops getting 1 in 300 odds, or whatever number Toady picked.

That's all complete speculation though.  The game could literally have a 1/1000 chance for twins, and 1/1000000 for triplets for example, and nothing higher is possible for the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE token.  Maybe someone knows.

I've never even seen twins in a legit manner.  I've only had this happen through modding.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:32 am »

Ive had twins several times, its very easy to miss it. First time I have triplets though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:33:22 am »

One of my dwarfs had fifteen children in 10 years. Is not that uncommon to see.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »

One of my dwarfs had fifteen children in 10 years. Is not that uncommon to see.

Yeah, the 34-year mayor of one of my old forts had 32 children in that span...no wonder she kept getting reelected, hell, probably half the fort was related to her by the time she died.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:41:28 pm »

And how are the dwarves carrying the babies? All three at the same time? One in each hand and one on the head?

The trick is to keep two of 'em airborne at all times so you have a hand free.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 04:48:05 pm »

Seems Legit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »

Since dwarven kids are born with beards, couldn't the mother tie said beards to her hair?
Or just hold two in one arm, it doesn't bother them that much. I suspect that I could hold three babies at once if there were ever three relatives if mine who had babies, were in the same place at the same time, and wanted/were fine with me holding their babies at once.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »

So I just got triplets [...] how are the dwarves carrying the babies?

Dwarves have no problem holding multiple shields.  They hold the babies exactly the same way.  Exactly the same way.