Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JUMPING?  (Read 1213 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
JUMPING?
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:09:25 am »

In referation to this, When toady said, "parkour", It will make me think of Assassins creed, escaping the goblin's chasing me down in there tower, leaping from tower to tower, or building. I really hope it mean's that you can JUMP. Amazin.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: JUMPING?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:12 am »

Well, I guess it will be less "Leaping from tower to tower" and more "Hilariously plummeting towards ground while goblins piss themselves laughing" but I agree it will be awesome.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:00:08 am »

Not only jumping, climbing too! Toady is more detailed in the devlog posts:

10/14/2012 I'm well into climbing now. A critter can grab hold of various surfaces, including branches above them, most walls to their side and ledges below them. Then they can climb, which involves moving to another tile and renewing the hold on an adjacent tile. When you are controlling the adventurer, you initiate a hold and then you can use the normal movement keys to get around. I'm going to add some reaction moments for grabbing hold of tiles when you are in flight to try to stop/slow your fall/jump. I haven't assessed penalties yet for climbing -- I'm assuming you'll need to maintain an open grasp to move around, at least if you are humanoid, and you'll also be in danger if you are fighting. I should have that stuff in shortly. You can jump while you are climbing. I jumped from a tree to a nearby rooftop, for example. Right now you can climb constructed walls but you can't climb smoothed walls or ice walls.
10/16/2012 You can grab hold of tiles in flight now, either after a jump or a fall. The success rate depends on how fast you are going, and I'm sure it'll depend on attributes and any relevant skills, although I'm not sure I've got a relevant skill named yet. I managed to jump between two far apart branches of a tree, then between trees, and I jumped along a rough wall, which seems like it should be quite dangerous.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

Agreed, I hope there is a Jumping or Climbing skill that works both ways, hopefully it will be !!FUN!!.