Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving the unit description screen  (Read 812 times)

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improving the unit description screen
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:43 am »

First of all, it would be extremly convenient to have unit descriptions, inventories/equipment, general health and enabled labours in one place (Therapist breaks immersion by a ton). Secondly, it would also be very convenient if navigating between different units description screens were a lot smoother. Thus, I propose that:

1. When in the unit description screen, you can press right arrow to come to a combined labour enabling/experience page (possibly with some kind of search function, as there are quite a lot of skills as of now). A submenu (much like the one used in trading) could be used to distinguish between military/labours/misc skills. Before each skill, the experience is listed, with greying out (or green/red colour) showing which skills are enabled. Unenableable (is that a word?) skills such axedwarf are just white.

Eg:
Legendary Cheese maker
Dabbling Weaponsmith

Pressing right arrow again gets you to an inventory and equipment/health screen

2. Pressing up or down arrow when viewing units would get you to the description screen of the unit above or below your current unit in the unit list.

Thoughts? At least for me, who likes micro-managing the right dwarves to the right job, this would dramatically decrease the amount of button-pressing needed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:23:36 pm by Escapism »

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the unit description screen
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 10:51:56 am »

Disable, I believe. Not unenableable.

I was going to request such a feature myself, as it seems like we'll only be getting more skills. A better skill browser would be desirable, to say the least.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:53:42 am by Revanchist »
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:20:44 am »

Disabled means that which isn't enabled (or something along those lines), so not quite. I think "untoggleable" makes for an at least more aesthetic choice.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:24:20 am by Escapism »

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37:11 am »

Restricted, perhaps?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »

Unused?

Overall, makes sense for when Toady gets to interface improvements.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:57:06 pm »

I can hardly wait for those personally.