Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the ability for weapons to block  (Read 1311 times)

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the ability for weapons to block
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »

Hello fellow modders,

I have a very quick question:

Is it possible to apply a [BLOCKCHANCE:xx] to an item with the [ITEM_WEAPON:xx] tag? Ideally I would like to add a "guard" to an item allowing it to both attack, yet still block attacks. Is this possible?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: On the ability for weapons to block
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:41:48 pm »

I'm not sure, but I can tell you trying to add attacks to a shield doesnt work. I haven't tried giving weapons a block chance yet though.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:22 pm »

BLOCKCHANGE is only applicable to ITEM_SHIELD unfortunately, S'all in the wiki.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »

You can't mix-and-match tags, like, ever.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:12:02 pm »

BLOCKCHANGE is only applicable to ITEM_SHIELD unfortunately, S'all in the wiki.

Hrrmm... Then I guess to have a blocking weapon I could possibly add the [SKILL:SHIELD] tag and achieve roughly the same effect. I remember a conversation where someone implemented "razor sharp wit" as a weapon and had them blocking arrows with it. I might be able to do something similar...

Has anyone tried something like this? All else fails I'll quickly whip up a test item and post the results to see just how effective such a weapon might be.

[UPDATE]

Initial tests confirm the obvious that you can use the shield skill just like any other weapon skill. I may have noticed more parries but I am testing to confirm this with an appropriate firing squad.

[UPDATE 2]

Due to the lethality of ranged combat, even when fully encased in armor, all 3 subjects suffered chipped leg/arm bones, leading to giving in to pain and falling down, leading to perforation, leading to death.

I may have to give them superior armor material than the bolts (or download that certain mod floating around that rebalances ranged combat) to see if they actually block the damn things with the weapon with any greater frequency than a normal weapon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:50:11 pm by Black_Legion »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36:54 pm »

Compare it to, say, deflection with axes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »

Compare it to, say, deflection with axes.

Comparing 3 groups (shield weapon, axe, and sword) versus a ranged combat squad in separate, repeatable "firing chambers" plus 10 shield-skill enabled weapon vs sword or axe only squads and 10 shield-skill enabled weapons plus sword and shield squads in separate, repeatable "thunderdomes". Results are inconclusive so far. I will continue the test over the weekend to see if SIZE tag has any effect as well. This may be useful to others later on but it's frustrating have one of those "you know this might a good idea" moments and realizing that a key feature you'd like doesn't exist like you thought it would. Such is the modder's life.

Also, does anyone else wish you could set equipment profiles/uniforms in the object testing arena? That would make quite a few things much faster and simpler.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 05:36:50 am »

You're not likely to see more parries with a SKILL:SHIELD weapon than a SKILL:SWORD weapon of equal level, they are simply both weapons. The only difference is what skill you use.