Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a small crossbow rebuff  (Read 1796 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a small crossbow rebuff
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:59:20 am »

Hello!
With the next update, pre- and post-strike delays mechanics is introduced to the combat system, which most likely means that there will be a diference between bow and crossbow in terms of loading time, and that in turn means that difference in SHOOT_FORCe and SHOOT_MAXVEL would be justified. Crossbow would take it's place as a slow-loading plate-piercing elephant-slaying weapon, and bows will be faster to shoot albeit weaker.
This may lead to a situation when after a crossbow is fired its user is stuck in a post-strike delay, supposedly reloading, or, similarly, stuck in a pre-strike delay before shooting, loading.
Both of situation would be quite annoying, and I'd like to suggest a way to work around this: ranged weapons should be loaded before shooting, with 'I' interface or similar means. That would transform, say, a *yew bow* into *drawn yew bow* and the projectile shoot be listed as being inside the weapon. Loading should take some time as described in weapon raws, and another raw tag would be needed to describe how weapon can be stored if loaded: anywhere (for pistols or,say, magic staves), held one-handed (crossbow, maybe) or held two-handed (bow). An option may be left ro the player to "always load after shot".
Maybe another tag should describe if weapons are unloaded when fast-travelling or sleeping, or maybe just those that must be "held" should unload.

That would allow for finer use of ranged weapons in adventure mode: you could enter the monster's lair with a loaded crossbow in hand, drop it after shooting and draw your sword for close combat - without unnecessary penalties for reloading. When complex military commands and formations are introduced in fort mode, this would be helpful there, too, and it just seems a bit more realistic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: a small crossbow rebuff
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:19 am »

Seems sensible, and thank you for not posting a topic about how OP crossbows are.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

Wouldn't it be less complicated to make F (fire) just proceed to the next part of the firing, if an adventurers crossbow isn't reloaded it will be reloaded with one press of F and fired with another press of F once the crossbow is reloaded.

Also no need for complex options like dialog for if you want to hold the crossbow in one hand or both, just make the crossbow reloadable only if you have both hands free but wieldable and shootable in only one hand.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:58 am »

Reloading with 'f' button seems great, although I think option to autoreload should still be present.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:34:16 am »

Maybe the auto-reload feature could be activated from the Fire screen.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:15:52 pm »

I hate to be 'that guy'
but while I agree with this main mechanic, applying it to bows would be silly, as you can't pull a bow back and hold it indefinitely
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:52 pm »

Yes, but it would be nice to be able to draw back bows and then aim/wait for a clear shot. All you really need are a few extra tags to add movement penalty and tiring and whatever else is appropriate to holding a drawn bow. I don't know how well that would work with enemy AI, but I don't think you'd lose much by just having then load bows right before they shoot. You'd also want some way to "unload" bows without removing the bow from your hands, but that's kind of a minor detail.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:03:29 pm »

I hate to be 'that guy'
but while I agree with this main mechanic, applying it to bows would be silly, as you can't pull a bow back and hold it indefinitely
Perhaps instead of a *loaded oak bow* being seen as drawn in game terms it simply means you have an arrow out and nocked on the bow string?

Then maybe a third step for bows where you spend time actually drawing the bow, or that could just be part of the shoot action?  Maybe you can pre-draw but it only lasts a few turns before you have to release tension, but that would still give you the ability to draw, step out of couver, let it go near-instantly, and then hide again.
Nom nom nom

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:30 am »

I hate to be 'that guy'
The problem is not impossibility to do so, but great strength of the bow compared to my own strength. I'll grow tired after a while to hold the string any longer.
This can be semi-properly simulated in-game too, because we have bow strength (SHOOT_FORCE), your own character strength and the ability for characters to tire.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 01:41:19 am »

I would like to see bows fleshed out a little more before we worry about loading and unloading. It would be hard to balance a framework now that wouldn't have to be revised when a bow's properties are dependent upon material values, as apposed to the current standardized bow statistics. Also, range vs. net force. I like the idea, I do, but it seems like something that should go somewhere on the dev goals rather than a next release. No reason not to discuss it. :)

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:19 pm »

The problem is not impossibility to do so, but great strength of the bow compared to my own strength. I'll grow tired after a while to hold the string any longer.
This can be semi-properly simulated in-game too, because we have bow strength (SHOOT_FORCE), your own character strength and the ability for characters to tire.

I agree. It's not impossible to hold the string for some time if you're strong enough. I think strength should be important when it comes to using bows, instead of just agility. After all, while the string  and the bow can be pulled further back and be more flexible depending on their size and material composition, it's really the strengh of the archer that dictates how fast and how far the arrow goes. If you're very weak, you'll find little difference between wielding a shortbow or a longbow.