Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carrier Command by Bohemia Interactive  (Read 4173 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carrier Command by Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 05:53:09 pm »

Unfortunately they are not letting people review the game on metacritic for a couple of more days. Publishers with questionable(split opinion) games are exploiting the site by using the latest possible regional date as the launch date thereby preventing sales impacting negative reviews for a few days.

TLDR: Company effectively blocks bad reviews during critical launch period to get sucker's money.

EDIT: Seems metacritic is open now. Two poor reviews and two stellar reviews. For $50 I would wait. Hopefully they can patch it out but I also hope I have a refund long before then. Don't avoid it based on my opinion alone, but be very skeptical of any praise you see for it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:57:02 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »

Eh... i did enjoy it quite a bit, they only thing that made me RAGE my ass off is the HORRIBLE pathfinding, quite frankly the worst thing i ever saw.... Put in a real pathfinding algorythmn and not a stupid pseudo waypoint follwing roads and ill be happy, i dont mind the voice acting, i dont mind the control heck i dont mind DF controls, if i can endure DF i can def endure anything. But the pathfinding....

Right now there is 2 thing first the pathfinding and it get repetitive fast, also mantas in the campaign are totaly useless, they take off, get 2 pot shot at them and they are ready to go back to carrier.... If you dont manually control the warlsu and use the others as *extra-lives* you are doing it wrong... Really??? It doesnt worth the price tag believe  me, wait for a few patch and a proper pathfinding.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »

Yeah, I took the second island in the campaign and my main complaint so far is that the pathfinding sucks hard.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »

I got to island 8 in the campaign and it keeps crashing on me, so I have to give it a rest.  The terrible pathfinding/AI does get progressively more annoying... I've had 4 mantas circling an AA gun and not firing until I take manual control, and the eternal dancing of walruses turning completely around whenever I give them a new order is maddening. 

So basically - it looks really good.  But it doesn't play very well :/

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:48 pm »

The problem is when they set a waypoint the walrus HAVE to step RIGHT on it instead of giving them a radius around the waypoint, this way if the pathfinding give them a waypoint slighty behing then line it up in front, he wont make a 8 strike turn around to hit the waypoint and do another 12 strike turning to go forward.... he would simply pop in and go forward.... Man i played RTS with better pathfinding than that, and it was on 3d terrain too... Even BOTS in FPSes has a better pathfinding and use stairs, cover etc... why cant a walrus simply move accross a bridge is beyond me....

I just hope they will fix it very soon... hard to believe they let that game out with that pathfinding...
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:56 am »

Here's a review from Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/02/wot-i-think-carrier-command-gaea-mission/#more-126332

They don't paint quite as bad a picture as hemmingjay, but I'm still not going to buy it...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »

I had such high hopes for this after having played so much of the command mode in arma ii

Oh well.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 12:57:33 pm »

The latest patch seem to *fix* the horrible pathfinding into bad pathfinding, you still have to babysit them sometime but in average its much better. If it was 1/10 at launch its now 4/10. I really expect and hope they will fix it even more in the upcming patches because its a nice little game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »

Here's a review from Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/02/wot-i-think-carrier-command-gaea-mission/#more-126332

They don't paint quite as bad a picture as hemmingjay, but I'm still not going to buy it...

Yeah, they were very generous. They recreated the game from 24 years ago perfectly. I loved that game, but design and gameplay have evolved too much for them to just deliver the exact same product. To be fair, I have only played 2 hours. My refund request was denied though, so I may revisit it again in a couple of months.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 04:56:00 pm »

Even Starcraft players expect more... scale out of a strategy game than this one delivers.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.
Pages: 1 [2]