Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: As DF grows, will it start to implode?  (Read 8793 times)

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
Re: As DF grows, will it start to implode?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:58 pm »

I don't think the steep learning curve or the complex UI is really such a problem, and I don't think there should be an 'official' tutorial. I actually found it quite fun and enjoyable finding things out for myself, with the help of the wiki and youtube, of course. But that's just me.
I have noticed the increasing popularity of games that spoonfeed you every bit of information, and for me, that completely takes out the challenge. If new players are turned away because of the complexity, then DF is not the game for them.

As for the amount of features and things to manage becoming overwhelming, I don't really see that happening. Toady knows what he is doing, and as more features are added, I'm sure more things like the manager will be added, to help you cope and ease the load.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:37 am »

I don't think the steep learning curve or the complex UI is really such a problem, and I don't think there should be an 'official' tutorial. I actually found it quite fun and enjoyable finding things out for myself, with the help of the wiki and youtube, of course. But that's just me.
I have noticed the increasing popularity of games that spoonfeed you every bit of information, and for me, that completely takes out the challenge. If new players are turned away because of the complexity, then DF is not the game for them.

As for the amount of features and things to manage becoming overwhelming, I don't really see that happening. Toady knows what he is doing, and as more features are added, I'm sure more things like the manager will be added, to help you cope and ease the load.

I found wiki quite helpful, and I actually lurked in the forum a week or so before I joined.  I am still unable to do certain things, but Im not green grass fresh.

That said, I consider myself a step above average for everything in life, and I can easily see people becoming overwhelmed, even without the pressures of invasions.  There needs to be some standard reference for FNGs to peruse before jumping in.  Something we all unifromily point to when some guy jumps in the game, realizes its not some simple strategy game (like ciV or w.e.) and comes here looking for help.  The wiki is, let's face it, very long and the information is scattered over a few pages.

I would like toady to enable us to set specific goals or waypoints for 'custom campaigns'.  It offers a chance to set up challenge maps.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

That might actually have some merit. Granted it would be far from the actual game in terms of focus, but some among us might like a chance to make a campaign that teaches newbies the finer points of fun, FUN !FUN! and, of course XX!!FUN!!XX.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]