Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IT help needed (monitor?)  (Read 2049 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: IT help needed (router settings)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:04:23 am »

Sorry, but I can't unsee a T-rex wrapped in white plastic and with LEDs for eyes.

Curse you, Tellemurrius :P

And OK, I will get a new router.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: IT help needed (monitor?)
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 02:20:19 am »

Ffffff-

Okay. Apparently everything electronical around me decided to malfunction :v

This time it is graphics-related. When I turned the PC on this morning, the monitor was filled with small green lines (dark backgrounds) or pink lines (bright backgrounds). The higher the settings, the worse it gets.

I've switched to the safemode and now, I have segmented monitor output... like, 'block of normal view, pink lines, normal, pink lines'. And to reply some questions beforehand: yes, this LCD is as old as my router.

What might be cause of the problem and will I get away better with just buying new LCD?
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:01 am »

well hold on lets do some elimination work, do you know if other devices will work instead of the monitor?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 07:11:12 am »

What do you mean by that?

Also, I'm back after classes and started the PC... I had normal graphics for two minutes, and now the colored lines strike back :I

EDIT: Oh lol. I just managed to screenshot those lines o.o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:21:18 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:52 am »

Oh, wow.

So I unplugged my PC and opened it and took out the graphics card. Checked it from both sides several times, but haven't found a single thing being wrong with it.

After plugging it back, I had normal graphics for a minute or two and now, I have lines again :c

EDIT: Moar 'science' have been done. Apparently, I can fix this problem by merely touching the graphics card, or rather, gently pushing it further 'into' PC.

Now I have clear vision. The problem comes back after a long while, but gentle push and then a 'refresh' of screen works perfectly. What's wrong with this damn card >:I
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:07:57 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 11:19:20 am »

bad pins on the connection mb?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »

bad pins on the connection mb?
most likely it right here

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 11:53:16 pm »

Your other problems aside (I've been off-forums for a couple of days, and it appears people are helping with your display problems, assuming there's not a combined cause for you having befalled to so multiple technical issues at once), I must apologise for not realising that you have a different internet source, and that it's not an integrated broadband/router that you're talking about.  Also explains the "got the internet before the router" thing.  So used to the combined jobbies, ye ken, and hence I got a bit sloppy with the terminology.

I would now consider looking at the box (cable modem?) you have between the router and the outside world.  Unless that was replaced, as part of the upgrade, it's that which I'd most wonder about not handling the new speed properly.  (But if you're replacing your 10/100Mbps-capable router then at least you're likely to be futureproofing by even having a gigabit capability, more than capable of the next upgrage to your broadband.)  But as I've been wrong so many times already about what your set-up is, I might well be wrong again. ;)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 01:21:42 am »

Your other problems aside (I've been off-forums for a couple of days, and it appears people are helping with your display problems, assuming there's not a combined cause for you having befalled to so multiple technical issues at once), I must apologise for not realising that you have a different internet source, and that it's not an integrated broadband/router that you're talking about.  Also explains the "got the internet before the router" thing.  So used to the combined jobbies, ye ken, and hence I got a bit sloppy with the terminology.

I would now consider looking at the box (cable modem?) you have between the router and the outside world.  Unless that was replaced, as part of the upgrade, it's that which I'd most wonder about not handling the new speed properly.  (But if you're replacing your 10/100Mbps-capable router then at least you're likely to be futureproofing by even having a gigabit capability, more than capable of the next upgrage to your broadband.)  But as I've been wrong so many times already about what your set-up is, I might well be wrong again. ;)
direct connection from computer to modem is fine just the router was foobar.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:18 am »

Also I want to jump in and say that bullshit with MAC addresses is pretty standard for an ISP. Hell if I know why.

Also "home" routers often have trouble with torrents, you're recommended to limit your torrent client to ~20 simultaneous connections to avoid saturating the router's NAT table.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 08:47:23 am »

Got a new router and installed it - speed goes all up to the promised connection speed! Thanks for advice guys :D

* Haspen MANHUGS Tellemurius and Starver
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 [2]