Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Every Menu Scrollable  (Read 959 times)

LogicalDash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Every Menu Scrollable
« on: October 24, 2012, 03:20:20 pm »

When first learning the game, it's necessary to read each menu item and think about it--even if most of the time what you think is "I don't know what that means, I'll go back to it later".

This is a fact that's not likely to change, as arranging a scenario where a given option is *not* needed would require laborious manual map design or new world generators. Those are only sensible options if the game is feature-complete.

Nonetheless there's a simple way to make the process of learning the interface much easier, and it doesn't even require an overhaul of the in-game help system. Every single menu in the game should be navigable with the +, -, and Enter keys on the number pad.

The most obvious benefit is the cognitive savings of not having to look up a key mapping in order to select a given option. This may not sound like much to the sort of person who's already proficient in Dwarf Fortress, but it's significant.

Another benefit is that if you get the player scrolling thru menus early on, you have them already in a pattern of behavior that requires them to consider the meaning of the option that the menu cursor is on, as they move it about.

Right now it's pretty easy to read a menu too quickly and not notice that there's a difference between "stockpiles" and "stocks," for instance, and proceed to play the game wholly ignorant of the stocks screen. If the player doesn't want to look up shortcuts, and "lazily" goes through the menu by scrolling it, that kind of mistake is less likely to happen, because it's no longer practical for them to skim the menu.

The sort of person who actually wants to memorize the shortcuts should still have them, of course. But, just because I'm interested in a complex game like Dwarf Fortress, doesn't mean I want to memorize a bunch of arbitrary shortcut keys. I'm mainly interested in the game world. Perhaps I have a much better memory for rules than for keys.

Incidentally, this feature would make it feasible to play the game with a gamepad. I tried to do this once, and just about mapped the top-level menu and view scrolling inputs, but I couldn't get the control scheme to cover the various modes in the designate menu for instance.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Every Menu Scrollable
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:05:42 pm »

Okay, one question; which menus can't be scrolled?

So far I haven't been able to figure out any menu that doesn't scroll up and down either by using +/- (* and / for whole page) or arrow keys (Page UP and Page Down for whole page).
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

The main menu. And...that's it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »

What is this? I don't get it.

I'd rather have the arrow keys scroll everything (okay, there's probably a reason why they don't, but...) because you need to press shift to get + and that's too much work (I end up scrolling from the bottom just because - is easier to press...). But I've never met someone too lazy to press the hotkey that's stated right on the main menu, instead opting to scroll through them one by one and looking at them all (instead of looking at them all and pressing a single button). This doesn't make sense.
My wooden badge was delicious.

LogicalDash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:49 am »

It isn't really a question of laziness. It's a question of noticing the options in the first place. If your response is something to the effect of "read the fucking screen," consider how hard it is for most people to understand what's going on in Dwarf Fortress' ASCII mode in the first place, then put inconsistent menu navigation on top of that.

I appear to have embellished the issue without first describing the basics. These menus are not scrollable:
  • designations
  • stockpiles
  • standing orders
  • Squads, kinda--you can *move* the menu up and down, but to actually select a squad you have to use a letter key.
  • Hotkeys, though that's because you press the actual key you are going to bind, so more logical than most of these examples.

Using the arrow keys for the menus and the numpad for the world view would also work, yes. I got accustomed to the current way of doing things in the build menu. Basically, I just want all the menus to respond to the same keyboard inputs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »

I'd rather keep scrolling the world with arrow keys.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.